May 12, 2010, 1:05 PM EDT
For the record, Larry Brown is still the coach of the Charlotte Bobcats.
Felt the need to mention that, because his name comes up in seemingly every coaching search. There’s also rumors of him in the front office in Philadelphia. So far, there has been no action. Just Brown spending time with his family, according to Sam Amick at FanHouse.
“I said after the season that I was going to visit with my family and figure out what direction I wanted to go in,” he said. “I’ve got a 15-year-old son, a daughter who’s 13. They’re in Philly and I’m in Charlotte and it’s been tough being away from them. I miss them, and I don’t want them to grow up not having me.”
When asked specifically about the reported possibility of his joining the Sixers as team president, coach or perhaps even both, the game’s most notorious nomad said he has had no contact with the team.
“I haven’t talked to anybody,” Brown said. “The only person I talked to is (Bobcats owner) Michael (Jordan). I basically told him what I told you. I love my job. I love working for him. But I’m just having a real difficult time being away from my family. … I’m going to sit down with (his wife) Shelly, to talk to her and my family.”
So, he’s the coach of the Bobcats unless a better offer comes along. Or, maybe this is the one time in history someone does leave a job to spend more time with his family, rather than just using that as the cover story.
But probably not. Coaches have it in their blood. After the season they need to decompress for a while, but come about August and September that itch to get back on the court, to coach, becomes like a migration instinct. Right now, Brown is decompressing, spending time with his family. As he should. But come the fall, you can bet he wants to get back on the court somewhere.
Where? I doubt even Brown knows that right now.
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 1
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 12
- LeBron James-Paul George matchup reaches awesome levels in Game 2 5
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 9
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 13
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (68)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final