May 12, 2010, 1:05 PM EDT
For the record, Larry Brown is still the coach of the Charlotte Bobcats.
Felt the need to mention that, because his name comes up in seemingly every coaching search. There’s also rumors of him in the front office in Philadelphia. So far, there has been no action. Just Brown spending time with his family, according to Sam Amick at FanHouse.
“I said after the season that I was going to visit with my family and figure out what direction I wanted to go in,” he said. “I’ve got a 15-year-old son, a daughter who’s 13. They’re in Philly and I’m in Charlotte and it’s been tough being away from them. I miss them, and I don’t want them to grow up not having me.”
When asked specifically about the reported possibility of his joining the Sixers as team president, coach or perhaps even both, the game’s most notorious nomad said he has had no contact with the team.
“I haven’t talked to anybody,” Brown said. “The only person I talked to is (Bobcats owner) Michael (Jordan). I basically told him what I told you. I love my job. I love working for him. But I’m just having a real difficult time being away from my family. … I’m going to sit down with (his wife) Shelly, to talk to her and my family.”
So, he’s the coach of the Bobcats unless a better offer comes along. Or, maybe this is the one time in history someone does leave a job to spend more time with his family, rather than just using that as the cover story.
But probably not. Coaches have it in their blood. After the season they need to decompress for a while, but come about August and September that itch to get back on the court, to coach, becomes like a migration instinct. Right now, Brown is decompressing, spending time with his family. As he should. But come the fall, you can bet he wants to get back on the court somewhere.
Where? I doubt even Brown knows that right now.
- USA celebrates gold medal with lots of dancing (except Derrick Rose) 4
- Too much World Cup MVP Kyrie Irving for Serbia to handle as USA wins gold easily 129-92 16
- FIBA World Cup USA vs. Serbia preview: Serbia no pushover but Americans should grab gold 4
- France beats Lithuania to win World Cup bronze 6
- Carmelo Anthony says nobody would want to play for Hawks 20
- Rudy Gay upset over ‘dirty play’ that caused him to suffer a fractured jaw in Team USA’s win over Lithuania 17
- Serbia holds off furious French comeback, wins to advance to gold medal game vs. USA 4
- Hawks GM Danny Ferry releases statement on his leave of absence, apologizes again 6