May 12, 2010, 2:34 PM EDT
It’s been extensively — even excessively — well documented. Kobe Bryant worked with Hakeem Olajuwon in the summer to learn the dream shake. He came into this season stronger, and early on the Lakers went to him in the post a lot. Very effectively.
Then, when Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol were playing together, Kobe slid more back out on to the perimeter.
“I also think that the Lakers have the two best post players in the league, Pau Gasol and Kobe Bryant. Kobe Bryant, probably the best one. Their size and their determination, I think Kobe just watching him now looks healthier than I have seen him and he just has such an incredible drive to excel and win. This did not surprise me at all.”
“Well I think Kobe, one of the things about him is if you watched him over the years he has just gotten better and better in all facets of the game. Obviously with his strength and his size gives him an advantage over almost every player that he is playing against… I think that Michael was much more of a jump shooter in there because of his ability to spring over people, but Kobe, the use of both hands in there and his footwork, I think really, really gives him an enormous advantage. Being an offensive post player, that is a physical battle down there. He just wears those guys out down there because of his strength and size and his determination.”
Clearly, this is the mythical pound-for-pound title we are talking about here, nobody expects Kobe to post up on Dwight Howard. Well, Kobe probably thinks he can, but it wouldn’t be wise.
But who has a better variety of moves down on the block? Not Howard or Shaq. Maybe Tim Duncan. Carmelo Anthony? But the list is pretty short. As always, West is on to something here.
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 2
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 12
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 48
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (71)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights