Cavaliers' owner Dan Gilbert says fans deserve better effort

May 12, 2010, 7:34 PM EDT

Cavs_Bench.jpgDan Gilbert had good seats for a terrible game. Front row on the baseline, just about 10 feet from the Cavaliers bench.

The NBA Nation has spent a day psychoanalyzing the Cavaliers and LeBron James effort. Is it his elbow? Has he mentally checked out for NewYork? Was it just an off night for him where his teammates (outside Shaq) didn’t step up? Maybe we’re just overlooking the fact, the Celtics are good?

Whatever theory you subscribe to, Cavaliers owner Gilbert doesn’t really care. Losing he can handle, but two bad efforts in a row at him has him — and other Cleveland fans — frustrated. He explained how he felt to Brian Windhorst at the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

“Our entire franchise has done everything in its power to put all of our players and its coaching staff in the best possible position to execute when it counts,” Gilbert said. “And to deliver to the highly supportive fans of Cleveland a proud, intense, impassioned all-out drive to achieve a championship…

“The last two home playoff losses and the manner in which we lost these games does not come close to being anywhere near the high expectations all of us have of our organization. Our fans and supporters deserve more…

“Above all, the fans of the Cleveland Cavaliers, as well as the entire franchise, deserve and need our players and coaches to dig deep within themselves,” Gilbert said.

I think he speaks for most Cleveland fans there. Just with a lot fewer swear works.

1. Jared - May 12, 2010 at 8:06 PM

Anderson Varejao needs to play more than 17 mins and Hickson needs longer than 4 mins. Wasn’t the hold up in the Amare trade partly to do with the Cavs not wanting to give up Hickson?

2. LakersFan - May 12, 2010 at 8:47 PM

Dan Gilbert, if you are reading this … find a new coaching staff. Find a coach that knows how to handle big egos and play smart in the payoffs. I’ll give you an example. Why did Mike Brown leave Shaq on the bench in the 4th quarter in Boston? He had 5 fouls, but it was clear that Boston was dominating the paint in the 4th. So he leaves Shaq on the bench? Why? He doesn’t understand team management and handling the NBA egos. He looks lost out three and if LeBron decides to ‘check out’ he just lets him. Find a REAL coach.
    LeBron needs a REAL coach, someone who will challenge him and help him understand the big picture of a TEAM sport.

3. val - May 12, 2010 at 9:09 PM

Dan Gilbert,if you are reading this……….the personalities on your team are not a good blend. The email from LakersFan is correct.
    Hmmmmmmmm could we have another Lakers vs Celtics era?? Where is Magic and Bird? lol.

4. concerned in central fl - May 12, 2010 at 11:44 PM

THE MAgic are waiting in Orlando for the survivor of this series.

5. Ravi - May 13, 2010 at 10:41 AM

LakersFan is very right.
    Need a coach with some “b@l1s”, who will pull LeBron off the court and make him sit on the bench, if his mind is not in the game, or if he can’t be productive.
    I “witnessed” LeBron go possession after possession to the to of the key, and just stand there, waiting to see if someone would pass him the ball (so he could shoot a 3 and miss??).
    Everyone in my family are huge LeBron fans, and I’ve never felt less love or respect for this highly overrated “King” (oh please!).

6. tony brown - May 13, 2010 at 11:58 PM

Mike Brown needs to go!!! Has not a clue! We need a real coach!!!!!

7. cavs fan - May 14, 2010 at 3:49 PM

I want to thank the Cavs for a great season! I am as disappointed as the next w/how it ended however, I am so sick of the criticism. We have a great team! It is not one man’s fault! Changes need to be made if we continue next season with the same coach, same players we can not expect different results. I would love to see a stronger coach. Someone who can really challenge and strengthen the cracks in our foundation. I hope we as a team stay together, because I truly believe we can and will a championship with a more experienced coach.

8. cavs fan - May 14, 2010 at 3:50 PM

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches