May 11, 2010, 6:34 PM EDT
Tim Donaghy has no credibility. In addition to the fact he is a disgraced referee with a gambling problem who spent time in jail for his crimes, reasonable studies looking into his claims — people that broke down the numbers — showed he was full of crap. The claims he made turn out to be false.
So, the only way he can keep his name in the public eye is to make up more outlandish claims.
And now he has crossed all sorts of lines.
On the Celtics Late Night blog talk show, he said that referee Bill Kennedy is gay, and that he holds a grudge against the Celtics because Doc Rivers questioned his sexual orientation. (All this via Reds Army.) This led to calls against the Celtics, he claimed.
First, who cares who Kennedy sleeps with? I honestly have no idea and nor do I care. What matters is the quality of his officiating. It’s a non-issue.
Second, Donaghy’s claims have all been crap so far, there is no need to buy this one. It is going to get a lot of media attention (and frankly I had a crisis of conscious about running it and talked with my bosses). But know that it is crap.
Go and read the work TrueHoop — Henry Abbott and Kevin Arnovitz — did. His claims do not stand up to any rigorous test, and there is a lot more research that will come out saying the same thing. So we put out there what he said, but add that the source is crap and, frankly, we doubt that the bias would stand up to any real test.
- Why are the Lakers hiring Byron Scott as head coach? 0
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 2
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 48
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 26
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 32
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 16
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 58