Tim Donaghy makes wildest claim yet, crosses about eight lines of decency

May 11, 2010, 6:34 PM EDT

Tim Donaghy has no credibility. In addition to the fact he is a disgraced referee with a gambling problem who spent time in jail for his crimes, reasonable studies looking into his claims — people that broke down the numbers — showed he was full of crap. The claims he made turn out to be false.

So, the only way he can keep his name in the public eye is to make up more outlandish claims.

And now he has crossed all sorts of lines.

On the Celtics Late Night blog talk show, he said that referee Bill Kennedy is gay, and that he holds a grudge against the Celtics because Doc Rivers questioned his sexual orientation. (All this via Reds Army.) This led to calls against the Celtics, he claimed.

First, who cares who Kennedy sleeps with? I honestly have no idea and nor do I care. What matters is the quality of his officiating. It’s a non-issue.

Second, Donaghy’s claims have all been crap so far, there is no need to buy this one. It is going to get a lot of media attention (and frankly I had a crisis of conscious about running it and talked with my bosses). But know that it is crap.

Go and read the work TrueHoop — Henry Abbott and Kevin Arnovitz — did. His claims do not stand up to any rigorous test, and there is a lot more research that will come out saying the same thing. So we put out there what he said, but add that the source is crap and, frankly, we doubt that the bias would stand up to any real test.

1. Michael - May 11, 2010 at 6:57 PM

Isn’t the NBA on NBC ?? So we are supposed to believe you ??

2. John - May 11, 2010 at 7:56 PM

Yea right! That book is backed by the FBI, the NBA is a joke and everyone knows it. Herny Abbot works for ESPN who are partners with the NBA. I read the book and believe it 100%.

3. larry - May 11, 2010 at 8:04 PM

Kurt,
    I listened to Donaghy on ESPN radio in Dallas two weeks in a row, he picked the games based on the referees and went 9-0 the two weeks I listened to him. How can you or anyone else say he was not telling the truth, he did this on live radio.
    I think you look like a fool trying to discredit him.

4. Betty - May 11, 2010 at 9:42 PM

The NBA has had these issues for years. Stern is fully exposed with the issues that are in Personal Foul. I have personally exchange emails with Donaghy and trust him 100%. I wish him the best of luck moving forward.

5. elmot - May 25, 2010 at 11:08 PM

Boy, all the denial about Donaghy reminds me a lot of how Jose Canseco was mocked and marginalized for years. How did that turn out?
    Donaghy may be an attention whore, but it’s perfectly obvious that he’s telling the truth. The NBA is a racket.

Woodson, D'Antoni's coaching futures