May 11, 2010, 11:43 AM EDT
As was evident watching the Spurs got swept by the Suns, San Antonio needs to add some young legs and energy to the team, especially along the font line with Tim Duncan. A “stretch four” would be ideal, if you have one of those laying around they could have.
However, as we discussed yesterday, helping out the front line may mean trading Tony Parker. Spurs General Manager RC Buford doesn’t seem to like that idea, something that became clear in a conversation with the San Antonio News Express.
“I think that you would be crazy not to want a player like Tony in our program for a long time,” Buford said. “He’s been a big part of the success we’ve had. It would surprise me if Tony hadn’t played most of the year with some kind of health ailment that we’d even be having this conversation.”
The Spurs best option would be to convince Tiago Splitter — the best center in Europe — to come to San Antonio. San Antonio drafted the Brazilian in 2007 and have his rights, but have not as of yet been able to convince him to leave Spain. They could pay him the full mid-level exception, and he’d be worth it. Splitter has a varied offensive game that can stretch the defense or bang inside, he would fit perfectly alongside Tim Duncan. Splitter could step right in as a starter.
And the Spurs would get to keep Parker, who should bounce back with a better season if he is healthy. It’s all a perfect little dream, if the Spurs can convince Splitter to come.
If not, the Tony Parker option may still be on the table. The Spurs don’t have a lot of other options.
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 8
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 12
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 15
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 16
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11