May 11, 2010, 11:43 AM EDT
As was evident watching the Spurs got swept by the Suns, San Antonio needs to add some young legs and energy to the team, especially along the font line with Tim Duncan. A “stretch four” would be ideal, if you have one of those laying around they could have.
However, as we discussed yesterday, helping out the front line may mean trading Tony Parker. Spurs General Manager RC Buford doesn’t seem to like that idea, something that became clear in a conversation with the San Antonio News Express.
“I think that you would be crazy not to want a player like Tony in our program for a long time,” Buford said. “He’s been a big part of the success we’ve had. It would surprise me if Tony hadn’t played most of the year with some kind of health ailment that we’d even be having this conversation.”
The Spurs best option would be to convince Tiago Splitter — the best center in Europe — to come to San Antonio. San Antonio drafted the Brazilian in 2007 and have his rights, but have not as of yet been able to convince him to leave Spain. They could pay him the full mid-level exception, and he’d be worth it. Splitter has a varied offensive game that can stretch the defense or bang inside, he would fit perfectly alongside Tim Duncan. Splitter could step right in as a starter.
And the Spurs would get to keep Parker, who should bounce back with a better season if he is healthy. It’s all a perfect little dream, if the Spurs can convince Splitter to come.
If not, the Tony Parker option may still be on the table. The Spurs don’t have a lot of other options.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 30
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 46
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4