May 11, 2010, 1:09 PM EST
After the season the Nets had, it feels like the only way the karmic scales balance out is if New Jersey wins the draft lottery, if they get the top overall pick in June. The Nets may only have a 25 percent chance at a top spot, but somehow it just seems fair if they get it.
Then they will draft John Wall, Nets President Rod Thorn basically told Dave D’Alessandro of the Star Ledger.
“I’d be shocked if anyone took anybody but John Wall number one,” Rod Thorn said, matter-of-factly.
Conventional wisdom then suggests that next the Nets would trade their existing point guard, Devin Harris. A guy who was All-Star caliber two years ago but struggled this past season. Thorn suggested that is not necessarily the case.
“Well, we have different things to consider, and we’re not there yet,” The Boss said. “Can they play together? We have to discuss it. I know this, we’ll have the fastest backcourt anywhere.”
You buying that? No. Neither are general managers from other teams.
We brought this up, of course, because the calls about Harris have already begun. All of them from friendly folks in need of a point guard if Thorn happens to get the top pick, all of them from peers who are certain the Nets are moving Harris between May 19 and June 24 if Wall drops into their lap.
“I can’t lie about it,” Thorn said. “I’ve had calls about that.”
What the Nets would take back in such a deal — they like your future picks, your underachieving players not so much — would be interesting.
But we have to get there first. Which means the Nets need to win the lottery next Tuesday.
- Report: Tom Thibodeau’s relationship with Bulls management believed to be ‘beyond repair’ 7
- Dwight Howard out at least two games with swelling in his knee 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Is this rock bottom for Oklahoma City? 7
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 50
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 6
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 18
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 17
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 28