May 11, 2010, 1:09 PM EDT
After the season the Nets had, it feels like the only way the karmic scales balance out is if New Jersey wins the draft lottery, if they get the top overall pick in June. The Nets may only have a 25 percent chance at a top spot, but somehow it just seems fair if they get it.
Then they will draft John Wall, Nets President Rod Thorn basically told Dave D’Alessandro of the Star Ledger.
“I’d be shocked if anyone took anybody but John Wall number one,” Rod Thorn said, matter-of-factly.
Conventional wisdom then suggests that next the Nets would trade their existing point guard, Devin Harris. A guy who was All-Star caliber two years ago but struggled this past season. Thorn suggested that is not necessarily the case.
“Well, we have different things to consider, and we’re not there yet,” The Boss said. “Can they play together? We have to discuss it. I know this, we’ll have the fastest backcourt anywhere.”
You buying that? No. Neither are general managers from other teams.
We brought this up, of course, because the calls about Harris have already begun. All of them from friendly folks in need of a point guard if Thorn happens to get the top pick, all of them from peers who are certain the Nets are moving Harris between May 19 and June 24 if Wall drops into their lap.
“I can’t lie about it,” Thorn said. “I’ve had calls about that.”
What the Nets would take back in such a deal — they like your future picks, your underachieving players not so much — would be interesting.
But we have to get there first. Which means the Nets need to win the lottery next Tuesday.
- PBT Extra: Spurs lead Texas winners in NBA Free Agency 0
- J.J. Redick: Clippers deserve “F” for free agency after losing DeAndre Jordan 19
- PBT Podcast: Free agency’s winners and losers 0
- Report: Boston Celtics agree to trade for David Lee for Gerald Wallace 17
- Report: Kevin Garnett to re-sign with Timberwolves 17
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 24
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 26
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 80