May 11, 2010, 1:09 PM EDT
After the season the Nets had, it feels like the only way the karmic scales balance out is if New Jersey wins the draft lottery, if they get the top overall pick in June. The Nets may only have a 25 percent chance at a top spot, but somehow it just seems fair if they get it.
Then they will draft John Wall, Nets President Rod Thorn basically told Dave D’Alessandro of the Star Ledger.
“I’d be shocked if anyone took anybody but John Wall number one,” Rod Thorn said, matter-of-factly.
Conventional wisdom then suggests that next the Nets would trade their existing point guard, Devin Harris. A guy who was All-Star caliber two years ago but struggled this past season. Thorn suggested that is not necessarily the case.
“Well, we have different things to consider, and we’re not there yet,” The Boss said. “Can they play together? We have to discuss it. I know this, we’ll have the fastest backcourt anywhere.”
You buying that? No. Neither are general managers from other teams.
We brought this up, of course, because the calls about Harris have already begun. All of them from friendly folks in need of a point guard if Thorn happens to get the top pick, all of them from peers who are certain the Nets are moving Harris between May 19 and June 24 if Wall drops into their lap.
“I can’t lie about it,” Thorn said. “I’ve had calls about that.”
What the Nets would take back in such a deal — they like your future picks, your underachieving players not so much — would be interesting.
But we have to get there first. Which means the Nets need to win the lottery next Tuesday.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 20
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47