May 11, 2010, 1:09 PM EDT
After the season the Nets had, it feels like the only way the karmic scales balance out is if New Jersey wins the draft lottery, if they get the top overall pick in June. The Nets may only have a 25 percent chance at a top spot, but somehow it just seems fair if they get it.
Then they will draft John Wall, Nets President Rod Thorn basically told Dave D’Alessandro of the Star Ledger.
“I’d be shocked if anyone took anybody but John Wall number one,” Rod Thorn said, matter-of-factly.
Conventional wisdom then suggests that next the Nets would trade their existing point guard, Devin Harris. A guy who was All-Star caliber two years ago but struggled this past season. Thorn suggested that is not necessarily the case.
“Well, we have different things to consider, and we’re not there yet,” The Boss said. “Can they play together? We have to discuss it. I know this, we’ll have the fastest backcourt anywhere.”
You buying that? No. Neither are general managers from other teams.
We brought this up, of course, because the calls about Harris have already begun. All of them from friendly folks in need of a point guard if Thorn happens to get the top pick, all of them from peers who are certain the Nets are moving Harris between May 19 and June 24 if Wall drops into their lap.
“I can’t lie about it,” Thorn said. “I’ve had calls about that.”
What the Nets would take back in such a deal — they like your future picks, your underachieving players not so much — would be interesting.
But we have to get there first. Which means the Nets need to win the lottery next Tuesday.
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 8
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 8
- Popovich explains decision to sit Duncan late in regulation of Game 6 14
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 45
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 21
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (79)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record