May 11, 2010, 9:45 PM EST
You knew Mark Cuban was not going to stay quiet.
Ross Perot Jr. (not him, but his son), a minority owner of the team, has filed a lawsuit saying Dallas Basketball Ltd., the business that runs Mavericks, is “insolvent and and/or in imminent danger of insolvency.”
“Mavs fans have nothing to worry about,” Cuban said in the e-mail to the DBJ. “I am responsible for funding and personally guarantee all debt, and I can tell you that financially I am doing more than fine. He essentially is suing me saying, I can’t afford to pay myself back. This is typical Perot.”
Cuban also said in his e-mail to the DBJ, “In my opinion, he thinks he is embarrassing me through the lawsuit, possibly to pressure me to buy him out. What I do know is that being in business with Ross Perot is one of the worst experiences of my business life.”
Cuban concluded: “There is no risk of insolvency. Everyone always has been and will be paid on time.”
There’s no doubt that the Mavericks have lost money (Forbes estimated $17.4 million last fiscal year, Perot’s suit says $50 million, take your pick). But Cuban is an owner willing to pay, willing to lose a little to have a team that wins.
Apparently when you’re really rich, it’s expensive to have enemies.
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 4
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 5
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 21
- Kevin Hart to write, star in movie with LeBron James 9
- The Extra Pass: A Google goggle revolution dream, plus Wednesday’s recaps 3
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)