May 11, 2010, 4:42 PM EDT
Before we get into this story, let us bask in the glory of Buzz Bissinger being interviewed by one blog, then that story being reported on another blog. Oh, the cruelty. Oh, the journalistic dishonesty.
On to our story. Bissinger has a book to sell, LeBron’s Dream Team, the book he co-authored with James about his high school team and experience. To promote the product, Bissinger did an interview with Ryan McNeill of Hoopsaddict.com, a long-standing quality NBA blog. They talk about the writing of the book.
And all that leads to the money shot — does he have any idea where LeBron will play next season?
Like everyone else, I have asked LeBron what he is going to do and he has flashed me that exquisite smile. I am not privy to any special information, but my gut tells me he will leave the Cavaliers whether they win the NBA championship or not. He has aspirations beyond basketball. He wants to be a billion dollar athlete. He likes challenges and bright lights. So I say he goes to the Knicks, if they get the right supporting cast. And as you know that’s a big “if” when it comes to the Knicks. LeBron would own New York in a way that no athlete has ever owned it, except maybe for Reggie Jackson after game six of the 1977 World Series when he hit three home runs, and as we know the love affair did not last forever. It would be exciting as hell to watch and I think LeBron would luxuriate in it.”
Take it at face value. Bissinger admits he has no word from the man (I doubt even LeBron’s mom does), these are just his feelings and speculation based on conversations and looking at the evidence. (Wow, sounds like what a blogger would do.)
But if the Celtics beat the Cavaliers, it may be a lot closer to reality.
- Eastern Conference Finals preview: Pacers vs. Heat 1
- Clippers let go of Vinny Del Negro as coach 18
- Durant donates $1 million to Oklahoma City tornado disaster relief efforts 12
- Odds for the NBA Draft Lottery (that teams don’t care if they win) 10
- Jim Boeheim says Knicks problem is not Carmelo, it’s everyone else 8
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (87)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- Play Video: Heat gearing for another physical battle
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'