May 10, 2010, 9:40 AM EST
Philadelphia may or may not be any closer to finding a new head coach — that knowledge is only in the head of general manager Ed Stefanski and that is not a place I want to go — but they are getting their money’s worth out of the interview process.
According to the Associated Press, former Detroit bad boy Bill Laimbeer and former Toronto coach Sam Mitchell have been interviewed for the Sixers vacant head coaching job.
“We want to speak to as many qualified candidates as possible and certainly Bill Laimbeer’s credentials as a player and success as a coach — including three championships in six seasons in the WNBA — speaks for itself,” general manager Ed Stefanski said. “We want to thank Bill for meeting with us….”
“Sam has been a successful head coach in the league, having been named coach of the year in 2007, and we were very interested in speaking with him,” Stefanski said. “It was good to sit down with him to exchange ideas about our team and this opportunity.”
Who knows what direction the Sixers are going? Then again, we’ve been able to say that about a lot of key player and personnel moves the Sixers have made in recent years.
But at least the Sixers are going, they are out their looking at their options (this is six interviews, plus they are said to thinking about Larry Brown who isn’t leaving Charlotte unless he gets Stefanski’s job, too). That’s more than a lot of teams are doing (Clippers, I’m looking at you.)
- Report: Celtics now more willing to trade Rajon Rondo 9
- Tyson Chandler says he feels sorry for Carmelo Anthony 19
- Kevin Durant on idea stars wouldn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘That’s bulls—‘ 43
- Former Warriors coach Mark Jackson meets with Kings GM, DeMarcus Cousins after Tuesday night’s game 25
- PBT’s Tuesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: Grizzlies grind ends Warriors streak 12
- It’s official: Jabari Parker out for the season with torn ACL 21
- Grizzlies snap Warriors’ 16-game winning streak 4
- Report: Chris Mullin doesn’t want to jump in mid-season to coach Kings 3