May 10, 2010, 9:40 AM EDT
Philadelphia may or may not be any closer to finding a new head coach — that knowledge is only in the head of general manager Ed Stefanski and that is not a place I want to go — but they are getting their money’s worth out of the interview process.
According to the Associated Press, former Detroit bad boy Bill Laimbeer and former Toronto coach Sam Mitchell have been interviewed for the Sixers vacant head coaching job.
“We want to speak to as many qualified candidates as possible and certainly Bill Laimbeer’s credentials as a player and success as a coach — including three championships in six seasons in the WNBA — speaks for itself,” general manager Ed Stefanski said. “We want to thank Bill for meeting with us….”
“Sam has been a successful head coach in the league, having been named coach of the year in 2007, and we were very interested in speaking with him,” Stefanski said. “It was good to sit down with him to exchange ideas about our team and this opportunity.”
Who knows what direction the Sixers are going? Then again, we’ve been able to say that about a lot of key player and personnel moves the Sixers have made in recent years.
But at least the Sixers are going, they are out their looking at their options (this is six interviews, plus they are said to thinking about Larry Brown who isn’t leaving Charlotte unless he gets Stefanski’s job, too). That’s more than a lot of teams are doing (Clippers, I’m looking at you.)
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 18
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47