May 10, 2010, 2:24 PM EDT
Steve Nash was bloodied and injured, just another series for him against the San Antonio Spurs. Except this time it was an inadvertent Tim Duncan elbow that left him with an eye almost swollen shut.
“When I came into the league that was just a normal foul in the playoffs. Now, I call it a quarterback league.
“You know from that point on I was labeled ‘Big Cheap Shot.’ If you go back and look at the history of basketball it kind of changed. If you hit guys now you get thrown out of the game. It is the playoffs. You play hard and you foul hard and make sure that people remember you so that deters them from going into the lane and going into the paint. You can be remembered by one thing. That is one of those things that I am infamous for is that foul on Steve Nash. I told everybody that if it was anybody in the World other than Steve Nash, I wouldn’t be talked about right now.”
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 13
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 32
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28