May 10, 2010, 2:24 PM EDT
Steve Nash was bloodied and injured, just another series for him against the San Antonio Spurs. Except this time it was an inadvertent Tim Duncan elbow that left him with an eye almost swollen shut.
“When I came into the league that was just a normal foul in the playoffs. Now, I call it a quarterback league.
“You know from that point on I was labeled ‘Big Cheap Shot.’ If you go back and look at the history of basketball it kind of changed. If you hit guys now you get thrown out of the game. It is the playoffs. You play hard and you foul hard and make sure that people remember you so that deters them from going into the lane and going into the paint. You can be remembered by one thing. That is one of those things that I am infamous for is that foul on Steve Nash. I told everybody that if it was anybody in the World other than Steve Nash, I wouldn’t be talked about right now.”
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 10
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 28
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 38
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85