May 10, 2010, 7:51 PM EDT
The Magic have outscored the Hawks 331-244 over the first three games of their playoff series. Atlanta was briefly in game two; other than that, they’ve been completely dominated at both ends of the court.
So many things need to change for the Hawks if they want to get a game in this series. Joe Johnson has to take his play up more than a couple of notches, if only for the sake of his contract this summer. The team needs to find some way to slow down Dwight Howard in the paint. Josh Smith needs to be more consistent at the offensive end and start looking more dominant on the defensive end. Horford needs another performance like he had in game two. Marvin Williams and Mike Bibby have to do the opposite of everything they’ve been doing so far. Jamal Crawford has been solid since game one. Jamal Crawford isn’t going to beat the Magic by himself.
The Magic just need to keep on doing what they’re doing. Howard has been unstoppable, and the Magic have been dutiful about feeding him early. Rashard Lewis had a great game three, and the threes have continued to fall for the Magic in this series. They’ve been getting good production off the bench, particularly from Mickael Pietrus. Defensively, they’ve looked like a juggernaut. The Magic are 48 minutes away from getting a nice long break to watch the Celtics and Cavaliers battle it out for a chance to face them in the Conference Finals. There’s a reason they play the games, but this certainly feels like the last night of Atlanta’s season.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 0
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 2
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 35
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 24
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte