May 10, 2010, 7:51 PM EST
The Magic have outscored the Hawks 331-244 over the first three games of their playoff series. Atlanta was briefly in game two; other than that, they’ve been completely dominated at both ends of the court.
So many things need to change for the Hawks if they want to get a game in this series. Joe Johnson has to take his play up more than a couple of notches, if only for the sake of his contract this summer. The team needs to find some way to slow down Dwight Howard in the paint. Josh Smith needs to be more consistent at the offensive end and start looking more dominant on the defensive end. Horford needs another performance like he had in game two. Marvin Williams and Mike Bibby have to do the opposite of everything they’ve been doing so far. Jamal Crawford has been solid since game one. Jamal Crawford isn’t going to beat the Magic by himself.
The Magic just need to keep on doing what they’re doing. Howard has been unstoppable, and the Magic have been dutiful about feeding him early. Rashard Lewis had a great game three, and the threes have continued to fall for the Magic in this series. They’ve been getting good production off the bench, particularly from Mickael Pietrus. Defensively, they’ve looked like a juggernaut. The Magic are 48 minutes away from getting a nice long break to watch the Celtics and Cavaliers battle it out for a chance to face them in the Conference Finals. There’s a reason they play the games, but this certainly feels like the last night of Atlanta’s season.
- Pau Gasol expresses frustration with D’Antoni offense. Lakers have to think trade. 14
- Report: Grizzlies shopping Zach Randolph around, want deal with Pelicans 6
- Nets notes: Kidd takes some credit, Lopez downplays injury, and Pierce off the bench 2
- Report: Knicks’ owner shoots down trade to get team Kyle Lowry 22
- The Extra Pass: Deron Williams is the difference for Nets; plus Thursday’s recaps 1
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (64)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (51)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (39)