May 10, 2010, 12:57 PM EDT
The Bulls are taking their time with their coaching search — which is a smart thing. More than any other franchise out there looking right now, Chicago has the sexy foundation and chance to draw a top free agent that could bring coaches out of the woodwork. No need to rush and interview all the guys on the circuit, see who else is out there.
The Bulls are putting together a list, and what they want on it is people with playoff coaching experience, according to the Chicago Sun-Times.
But an NBA source has said Bulls general manager Gar Forman has settled on the model for his ideal candidate — someone who has had not only head-coaching experience, but also postseason experience in the league.
The source also said Forman is continuing to do extensive background work and research on a number of candidates and won’t begin the process of conducting formal interviews until the field is narrowed to about five candidates.
Another reason for not rushing is that it is possible new candidates — perhaps even coaches whose teams still are in the playoffs — could emerge in the coming weeks.
The coaches they have looked at with playoff experience: Maurice Cheeks and Lawrence Frank. Meh, just meh. Other names out there include Doug Collins, Avery Johnson and Byron Scott. The latter two are rumored not to interest the Bulls. It’s not likely they’d go back down the Doug Collins road.
That is where the patience thing comes in. Things will be changing on the coaching market, new names will appear in the coming weeks. Names that may surprise. So they take their time.
The Bulls know what they want. The waiting is the hardest part.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 1
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 1
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 8
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 13
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11