May 10, 2010, 12:57 PM EST
The Bulls are taking their time with their coaching search — which is a smart thing. More than any other franchise out there looking right now, Chicago has the sexy foundation and chance to draw a top free agent that could bring coaches out of the woodwork. No need to rush and interview all the guys on the circuit, see who else is out there.
The Bulls are putting together a list, and what they want on it is people with playoff coaching experience, according to the Chicago Sun-Times.
But an NBA source has said Bulls general manager Gar Forman has settled on the model for his ideal candidate — someone who has had not only head-coaching experience, but also postseason experience in the league.
The source also said Forman is continuing to do extensive background work and research on a number of candidates and won’t begin the process of conducting formal interviews until the field is narrowed to about five candidates.
Another reason for not rushing is that it is possible new candidates — perhaps even coaches whose teams still are in the playoffs — could emerge in the coming weeks.
The coaches they have looked at with playoff experience: Maurice Cheeks and Lawrence Frank. Meh, just meh. Other names out there include Doug Collins, Avery Johnson and Byron Scott. The latter two are rumored not to interest the Bulls. It’s not likely they’d go back down the Doug Collins road.
That is where the patience thing comes in. Things will be changing on the coaching market, new names will appear in the coming weeks. Names that may surprise. So they take their time.
The Bulls know what they want. The waiting is the hardest part.
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 7
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 13
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 30