May 9, 2010, 10:30 AM EDT
Yeah, 50 wins, playoffs the last three years, significant progress, down the tubes. Because after yesterday’s embarrassing 30 point loss to the Magic, that’ll pretty much be a wrap on Woodson in Atlanta.
Bear in mind that the Hawks were a laughingstock five years ago, the team that continually drafted athletic wings every season and looked helpless. They were considered going nowhere, and every season, Woodson has led the Hawks to a further progression. At times this season, the Hawks looked very much like the third best team in the East. They simply peaked too early. It may be true that Atlanta quit, it’s very much in their nature. But the sheer dominant status of the Magic needs to be in heavy consideration.
If Woodson’s fired, he’ll likely have other job offers, but the propensity for his players to completely slip into oblivion under his watch will have to be considered. What won’t be mentioned is the completely unstable environment Woodson’s been under with the Hawks’ ownership disputes.
The Hawks really have progressed a long way and have considerable young assets. And yet, this may be the last ride for this formation of the team. Well, less of a ride. More of a tragic stumble into the dirt. But you get the drift.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29