May 8, 2010, 10:19 AM EDT
The Sixers are certainly doing their homework.
The Sixers have brought in just about every candidate you can think of to interview for their head coaching position left vacant after the firing of Eddie Jordan. Avery Johnson, Doug Collins, and Mark Jackson (who withdrew his name) are just a few of the names on the list. It also includes a who’s who of assistant names.
And you can add one more: Phoenix assistant and former NBA sharpshooter Dan Majerle. Marc Stein of ESPN reports that Majerle has been contacted and will meet with a Sixers delegation from the Sixers in Phoenix after the team returns from San Antonio for Game 4 versus the Spurs.
Majerle has been the element to remain in place in Phoenix throughout much of the upheaval. He’s respected by the players as a former coach and has always had the mind for it.
The Sixers expect to have a hire in place early next month, prior to the draft. It’ll be interesting to see what direction the new coach takes and if he opts for a younger approach. It’ll also be notable as to how much power the new coach brings with him and what impact that has on GM Ed Stefanski, who himself is on the hotseat after last year’s severe regression.
If they do opt for Dan, they will lead the league in awesome coach nicknames. Thunder Dan is way better than Zen Master.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 31
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4