May 8, 2010, 12:43 AM EDT
No one saw this coming.
Goran Dragic went absolutely nova in the fourth quarter, scoring 23 of his 26 points in the fourth quarter, destroying the vaunted Spurs’ defense in route to a 110-96 win for the Suns in Game 3 Friday night. The Phoenix Suns, with all their tortured history against this team, with all their questions, and with low expectations coming into the preseason, now find themselves with a 3-0 series lead and a chance to eliminate the spectre of failure that has haunted them in the playoffs against their rival.
The Suns went down by 18 early, but found themselves back within range by the half. Thanks to a second half push and big contributions from their bench, including Leandro Barbosa who chipped in 13 points. But really, Dragic was the catalyst.
And it wasn’t just offensively. Tony Parker wound up with 17 shots, hitting only five, and he was largely the player trying to initiate offense in the second half, despite his physical limitations due to the injuries he sustained all year and Dragic’ edge on him athletically. The result was sloppy Spurs’ possessions we’ve never seen from a Duncan team in the playoffs and opportunities for the Suns to take it to them on the other end.
Speaking of Duncan, he had only 9 shots, while Matt Bonner had 6. Bonner also added fourteen to five hundred blown assignments. I lost track at one point. Needless to say, the “Matt Bonner blown defensive assignment” drinking game is a painful game to play.
Steve Nash played only the final four minutes of the fourth. Amar’e Stoudemire didn’t play a single minute.
This ain’t your older brother’s Suns team. But it is your grandmother’s Spurs team.
If any team can overcome a 3-0 deficit to crush another team’s soul, it’s the Spurs. But so far in this series, it’s been the Suns with all the answers.
Rob Mahoney will have more answers about this series later today.
- George Hill not yet cleared to play for Pacers in Game 6 vs. Knicks, remains a game-time decision 0
- Report: Bobcats changing name back to Hornets 20
- Dwyane Wade grants wish, shows up at girl’s senior prom 16
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson 53
- Report: Vinny Del Negro to meet with Clippers’ owner Donald Sterling this weekend 3
- Watch live: Red Wings at Blackhawks
- Watch live: Preakness Stakes preview show
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay