May 7, 2010, 9:06 PM EDT
Head coach Gregg Popovich said in his pregame comments that Tony Parker will start tonight, with George Hill headed to the bench.
Parker presents a much tougher matchup for Steve Nash, whose hesitation dribble also gave Hill trouble. Nash has had difficulty staying with Parker for, oh, five years. Parker’s been shooting from range well, which is a tremendous advantage because the Suns are liable to give him that shot if it comes available.
A Hill-Dragic matchup is also helpful for the Spurs. Dragic checked Parkers successfully in the start of the fourth quarter of Game 2 holding him to 2 turnovers and 0 field goals until Nash’s return with 5:47 remaining. This change demonstrates a marked adjustment by Popovich to try and neutralize the damage Nash has done, which has been considerable. It’s also a dangerous move because Parker’s dealing with multiple injuries, including plantar fasciitis. Wearing him out in the second round is not ideal, but in an 0-2 hole, push has come to shove.
You have to think Parker’s return to the starting lineup along with the home crowd will give the Spurs the edge tonight in Game 3.
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 27
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 14
- ‘Devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize for Game 7 35
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 13
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 22
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (107)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead