May 7, 2010, 9:39 AM EDT
There are a lot of teams looking for a head coach for next season, and most are taking their time. Chicago Bulls staff said as much, while the Los Angeles Clippers have been stone silent.
Not the New Orleans Hornets. They are on it. Five interviews in three days, including two more on Thursday, according to the Times Picayune.
New Orleans Hornets owner Gary Chouest and his search team interviewed Boston Celtics assistant Tom Thibodeau and former NBA player Mark Jackson on Thursday in Boston as they continue to search for a head coach.
Hornets spokesman Harold Kaufman confirmed Thursday’s interviews in Boston and said more are forthcoming with other candidates. The Hornets are expected to interview Portland Trail Blazers assistant Monty Williams next week, and possibly former NBA coach Doug Collins. Utah assistant Tyrone Corbin also could be interviewed if the Jazz is eliminated by the Los Angeles Lakers next week in the Western Conference semifinals.
Avery Johnson, the Mavericks coach who is a Louisiana native, is considered the front-runner.
Smart strategy by the Hornets — if you’re the first team to make a decision and an offer to whomever, you stand a better chance of getting your man. Is someone going to turn down the chance to coach Chris Paul for what maybe will come down the road later?
Also, good to see the new owner getting involved. They postponed the formal transfer of ownership press conference so he could interview coaches — I like this guy already.
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 0
- Nets use 18-0 second-half run to secure Game 3 victory over Hawks 5
- Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets 8
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 8
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 13
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 8
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 17
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7