May 7, 2010, 9:39 AM EST
There are a lot of teams looking for a head coach for next season, and most are taking their time. Chicago Bulls staff said as much, while the Los Angeles Clippers have been stone silent.
Not the New Orleans Hornets. They are on it. Five interviews in three days, including two more on Thursday, according to the Times Picayune.
New Orleans Hornets owner Gary Chouest and his search team interviewed Boston Celtics assistant Tom Thibodeau and former NBA player Mark Jackson on Thursday in Boston as they continue to search for a head coach.
Hornets spokesman Harold Kaufman confirmed Thursday’s interviews in Boston and said more are forthcoming with other candidates. The Hornets are expected to interview Portland Trail Blazers assistant Monty Williams next week, and possibly former NBA coach Doug Collins. Utah assistant Tyrone Corbin also could be interviewed if the Jazz is eliminated by the Los Angeles Lakers next week in the Western Conference semifinals.
Avery Johnson, the Mavericks coach who is a Louisiana native, is considered the front-runner.
Smart strategy by the Hornets — if you’re the first team to make a decision and an offer to whomever, you stand a better chance of getting your man. Is someone going to turn down the chance to coach Chris Paul for what maybe will come down the road later?
Also, good to see the new owner getting involved. They postponed the formal transfer of ownership press conference so he could interview coaches — I like this guy already.
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 0
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 5
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 2
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 7
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players 26
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)