May 7, 2010, 9:39 AM EDT
There are a lot of teams looking for a head coach for next season, and most are taking their time. Chicago Bulls staff said as much, while the Los Angeles Clippers have been stone silent.
Not the New Orleans Hornets. They are on it. Five interviews in three days, including two more on Thursday, according to the Times Picayune.
New Orleans Hornets owner Gary Chouest and his search team interviewed Boston Celtics assistant Tom Thibodeau and former NBA player Mark Jackson on Thursday in Boston as they continue to search for a head coach.
Hornets spokesman Harold Kaufman confirmed Thursday’s interviews in Boston and said more are forthcoming with other candidates. The Hornets are expected to interview Portland Trail Blazers assistant Monty Williams next week, and possibly former NBA coach Doug Collins. Utah assistant Tyrone Corbin also could be interviewed if the Jazz is eliminated by the Los Angeles Lakers next week in the Western Conference semifinals.
Avery Johnson, the Mavericks coach who is a Louisiana native, is considered the front-runner.
Smart strategy by the Hornets — if you’re the first team to make a decision and an offer to whomever, you stand a better chance of getting your man. Is someone going to turn down the chance to coach Chris Paul for what maybe will come down the road later?
Also, good to see the new owner getting involved. They postponed the formal transfer of ownership press conference so he could interview coaches — I like this guy already.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 21
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 29
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 4
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 1
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 10
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 7
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31