May 7, 2010, 11:31 AM EST
Gilbert Arenas has served his debt to society — which apparently involved playing a lot of basketball at the halfway house where he was assigned.
I think we all feel safer now. The Washington Post has the details.
The Wizards star, who pleaded guilty this year in D.C. Superior Court to a felony handgun violation stemming from a locker room incident at Verizon Center, has been serving a 30-day sentence inside the facility, near White Flint mall in Montgomery County. He is scheduled to be released Friday.
Arenas was one of 152 offenders sleeping at the halfway house this week, according to Thursday’s head count. Most have jobs or perform court-ordered community service during the day. Arenas has served as a mentor for juvenile offenders at New Beginnings Youth Development Center in Laurel.
And he’s been playing a lot of pick-up basketball. Which is totally fair, one of the NBA’s best scoring machines matched up on guys in a halfway house.
“You leave him open, he’s going to make it,” said Tony Dorsey, one of 10 halfway house residents who agreed this week to discuss their life with Arenas over the past month.
And apparently Arenas had to ice his knee after the pickup games. He still plans on playing next season in the NBA. Those two things do not go well together.
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 0
- Kevin Hart to write, star in movie with LeBron James 6
- The Extra Pass: A Google goggle revolution dream, plus Wednesday’s recaps 3
- Wednesday night NBA Grades: LaMarcus Aldridge is a flat out stud 9
- Arena evacuated after fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 17
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)