May 6, 2010, 8:38 AM EDT
Pat Riley suggested the other day that if a free agent superstar would be swayed to come to Miami if he would coach, then he’d likely do it.
Somebody forgot to ask the current superstar.
Well, not the New York Post, they asked Dwyane Wade what he thought, and Riley the coach did not exactly get a ringing endorsement.
“Let me say it like this, I’ve won a championship with Coach Riley and I’ve won 15 games with Coach Riley,” Wade told The Post. “So it all depends on what year it is. We’ve had success. We’ve had turmoil. So it all depends.”
“If you know coach, you know he’s never lost the passion,” Wade said. “He stepped aside to run the organization, but he never lost the passion to coach. I wasn’t surprised at all. I understand where his mindset is, but at the same time Erik Spoelstra is still our coach, so I’m not putting much into it.”
Riley has a lot of rings, but is an old-school, slave-driver of a coach. He has success but he wears on teams (sort of like Byron Scott today, a guy who came into the league playing under Riley). Spoelstra runs a lot of the same sets as Riley did (although with some twists and variations), on the court his teams look Rileyesque. But his style is not quite as abrasive to the players.
But if Riley were to return, and won, Wade could live with the personality, we’d bet. As for Spoelstra, the last coach that Riley kicked to the curb so he could return to the bench — Stan Van Gundy — has landed in a very good spot. That could well happen to him, too, as a lot of other teams have noticed the job he has dome.
- Report: Warriors, Draymond Green agree to five-year, $85 million deal 9
- 76ers get Nik Stauskas, first-rounder in salary-dump trade with Kings 25
- Report: Pelicans finalizing deal with Omer Asik 2
- Reports: Paul Pierce agrees to three-year, $10 million contract with Los Angeles Clippers 21
- Report: LaMarcus Aldridge rules out Lakers in free agent decision 99
- Reports: Phoenix Suns sign Tyson Chandler, re-sign Brandon Knight, try to reshape roster 11
- Kevin Love will return to Cavaliers, contract is reportedly $110 million over five years 78
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 27