May 6, 2010, 12:42 PM EDT
Celtics General Manager Danny Ainge got caught up in the heat of the moment and forgot that at the NBA League Office, this is fining season.
Ainge has been fined $25,000 by the league for throwing a town in the air to distract the Cavalier’s JJ Hickson at the free throw line during the Celtics blowout win in Game Two.
Ainge went on WEEI and apologized for the incident.
“This is very simple, OK: I regret that. That was very unprofessional,” Ainge told WEEI-AM. “I was having fun with the hecklers and the crowd sitting around me. You know what, there’s just no excuse. It was unprofessional.”
That was not enough, the league office wanted its pound of flesh.
Ainge needs to pick his spots better. The Celtics were up 23 points in the third quarter when this happened, and Hickson is an unimpressive 68 percent free throw shooter as it is. If you’re going to get fined for it, at least wait to do it to LeBron at the end of a close game.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 14
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32