May 6, 2010, 12:42 PM EST
Celtics General Manager Danny Ainge got caught up in the heat of the moment and forgot that at the NBA League Office, this is fining season.
Ainge has been fined $25,000 by the league for throwing a town in the air to distract the Cavalier’s JJ Hickson at the free throw line during the Celtics blowout win in Game Two.
Ainge went on WEEI and apologized for the incident.
“This is very simple, OK: I regret that. That was very unprofessional,” Ainge told WEEI-AM. “I was having fun with the hecklers and the crowd sitting around me. You know what, there’s just no excuse. It was unprofessional.”
That was not enough, the league office wanted its pound of flesh.
Ainge needs to pick his spots better. The Celtics were up 23 points in the third quarter when this happened, and Hickson is an unimpressive 68 percent free throw shooter as it is. If you’re going to get fined for it, at least wait to do it to LeBron at the end of a close game.
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 2
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 17
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 15
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 25
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 8
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 35