May 5, 2010, 9:05 AM EDT
When asked if he would ever return to the bench and coach the Miami Heat, Pat Riley essentially said he’s be screwed and skewered no matter what he answered.
Then he answered it anyway, as the Miami Herald reports.
“I might want to coach again, I don’t know,” Riley, 65, said Monday. “If some free agent were to say, `I will come here but you must do this,’ well, if that happens that day, then I might have to give it some thought.’
That’s Eric Spoelstra you see looking over his shoulder. The current Heat coach — who is doing a quality job — just realized that if he does his job really well and gets the team moving toward an NBA title, he’s going to get tossed aside like so much garbage
It happened to Stan Van Gundy.
“I feel bad for Erik, knowing what will happen now, an offseason of speculation on whether or not Pat will coach,” Van Gundy said before Game 1 of the Magic-Hawks series. “It will make it tough on [Spoelstra].”
Good thing Spoelstra and Van Gundy are tight, because we all need someone to talk to who can relate to what we are going though. And Van Gundy has been there – Riley tossed him aside when it was clear that the Dwyane Wade and Shaquille O’Neal Heat could win a title.
Riley has coaching in his blood, he’s always going to think he can step back on the bench, even when he’s too old or knows he shouldn’t. And he shouldn’t. Just to be fair to Spoelstra, if nothing else.
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 0
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 4
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 13
- Sad news: Craig Sager announces his cancer has returned 16
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 11
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 23
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 25