May 5, 2010, 9:05 AM EDT
When asked if he would ever return to the bench and coach the Miami Heat, Pat Riley essentially said he’s be screwed and skewered no matter what he answered.
Then he answered it anyway, as the Miami Herald reports.
“I might want to coach again, I don’t know,” Riley, 65, said Monday. “If some free agent were to say, `I will come here but you must do this,’ well, if that happens that day, then I might have to give it some thought.’
That’s Eric Spoelstra you see looking over his shoulder. The current Heat coach — who is doing a quality job — just realized that if he does his job really well and gets the team moving toward an NBA title, he’s going to get tossed aside like so much garbage
It happened to Stan Van Gundy.
“I feel bad for Erik, knowing what will happen now, an offseason of speculation on whether or not Pat will coach,” Van Gundy said before Game 1 of the Magic-Hawks series. “It will make it tough on [Spoelstra].”
Good thing Spoelstra and Van Gundy are tight, because we all need someone to talk to who can relate to what we are going though. And Van Gundy has been there – Riley tossed him aside when it was clear that the Dwyane Wade and Shaquille O’Neal Heat could win a title.
Riley has coaching in his blood, he’s always going to think he can step back on the bench, even when he’s too old or knows he shouldn’t. And he shouldn’t. Just to be fair to Spoelstra, if nothing else.
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 9
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 13
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis, Pelicans made playoffs. Will they get a fifth game vs. Warriors? 6
- Rumor: LaMarcus Aldridge more likely to leave Trail Blazers in free agency than people realize 24
- PBT First-Round Playoff Previews: Chicago Bulls vs. Milwaukee Bucks 8
- PBT First-Round Playoff Previews: Houston Rockets vs. Dallas Mavericks 15