May 5, 2010, 3:23 PM EDT
According to the Phoenix Suns’ official Twitter feed, Robin Lopez has been ruled out for Game 2 tonight. Not that the Suns really needed him in Game 1, as Tim Duncan was held to a nice, but manageable 20 points on 8-of-15 shooting. Some of those points came off of freebie transition opportunities, and all-in-all a group consisting of Amar’e Stoudemire, Channing Frye, Louis Amundson, and Jarron Collins were able to make Duncan look like something of a mortal on the offensive end.
That would also be Lopez’s primary purpose in this series, should he be healthy enough to play. The rebounding is nice and his ability to run the break and finish around the basket would be useful, but those are the cherries on top of the Defense-on-Duncan sundae.
Or for a more appropriate metaphor, Lopez himself could turn out to be the sundae, with the Suns’ defense on Duncan as something of the main course. Provided Phoenix can work defensively like they did in Game 1 over the course of the entire series (or at least in enough games to grab four wins), Lopez’s presence isn’t entirely necessary, but wouldn’t it be delicious? It’s the team’s ability to defend that provides the real meat and potatoes here, and one game into the series the Phoenix D has been pretty hearty.
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 1
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 35
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 38