May 5, 2010, 3:23 PM EDT
According to the Phoenix Suns’ official Twitter feed, Robin Lopez has been ruled out for Game 2 tonight. Not that the Suns really needed him in Game 1, as Tim Duncan was held to a nice, but manageable 20 points on 8-of-15 shooting. Some of those points came off of freebie transition opportunities, and all-in-all a group consisting of Amar’e Stoudemire, Channing Frye, Louis Amundson, and Jarron Collins were able to make Duncan look like something of a mortal on the offensive end.
That would also be Lopez’s primary purpose in this series, should he be healthy enough to play. The rebounding is nice and his ability to run the break and finish around the basket would be useful, but those are the cherries on top of the Defense-on-Duncan sundae.
Or for a more appropriate metaphor, Lopez himself could turn out to be the sundae, with the Suns’ defense on Duncan as something of the main course. Provided Phoenix can work defensively like they did in Game 1 over the course of the entire series (or at least in enough games to grab four wins), Lopez’s presence isn’t entirely necessary, but wouldn’t it be delicious? It’s the team’s ability to defend that provides the real meat and potatoes here, and one game into the series the Phoenix D has been pretty hearty.
- Dwight Howard’s drivers’ license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 2
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 47
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 29
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16