May 5, 2010, 3:23 PM EDT
According to the Phoenix Suns’ official Twitter feed, Robin Lopez has been ruled out for Game 2 tonight. Not that the Suns really needed him in Game 1, as Tim Duncan was held to a nice, but manageable 20 points on 8-of-15 shooting. Some of those points came off of freebie transition opportunities, and all-in-all a group consisting of Amar’e Stoudemire, Channing Frye, Louis Amundson, and Jarron Collins were able to make Duncan look like something of a mortal on the offensive end.
That would also be Lopez’s primary purpose in this series, should he be healthy enough to play. The rebounding is nice and his ability to run the break and finish around the basket would be useful, but those are the cherries on top of the Defense-on-Duncan sundae.
Or for a more appropriate metaphor, Lopez himself could turn out to be the sundae, with the Suns’ defense on Duncan as something of the main course. Provided Phoenix can work defensively like they did in Game 1 over the course of the entire series (or at least in enough games to grab four wins), Lopez’s presence isn’t entirely necessary, but wouldn’t it be delicious? It’s the team’s ability to defend that provides the real meat and potatoes here, and one game into the series the Phoenix D has been pretty hearty.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 2
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48