May 5, 2010, 5:52 PM EST
Nobody left on a playoff team is really healthy right now. Well, Kosta Koufos is, although that isn’t really doing anybody any good.
But the Celtics had team heartbeat Kevin Garnett and the guy who has to defend Shaquille O’Neal (Kendrick Perkins) banged up, and that could be trouble.
Both are sore, but both will go in game three, according to Celtics.com.
The good news is that neither of the players suffered dramatic injuries that will keep them out of the lineup for an extended period of time. The bad news is that the injuries are bad enough to keep both Garnett and Perkins out of practice in the midst of a do-or-die playoff series…
Perkins’ injury, a hyperextended right knee, happened at the team’s morning shootaround (on Monday before Game 2). The circumstances surrounding his injury weren’t what you would expect, as Perkins attributed the issue to a sudden lack of coordination.
Garnett’s injury is actually game-related, as he suffered a strained right mid-food in the final minutes of Monday’s win. He continued to play until Rivers took him out with 40.4 seconds remaining in the game, but his foot has also became more painful in the days since.
If the Celtics/Cavaliers series had been on an every-other-day schedule, Doc Rivers said KG would have missed Game 3. Thanks to the usually annoying, television-dictated playoff schedule, the Celtics are off until Friday. And this time, they’ll happily take that.
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 12
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 14
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 25
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 8
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 35
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 18