May 5, 2010, 11:36 AM EST
Every national television commentator with a basketball background is currently being mentioned as a possible head coach somewhere — Jeff Van Gundy, Mark Jackson, Avery Johnson, Doug Collins…
Everyone but Mike Fratello and Reggie Miller.
Fratello tells the New Orleans Times Picayune he’d like to be interviewed too.
On Tuesday, former NBA coach Mike Fratello emerged as the newest candidate the Hornets plan to interview, according to sources. But Fratello said by telephone that he has not been contacted by the Hornets.
“I’d love to talk to them if they want to talk, ” Fratello said. “I’m sure there’s a lot of people who’d like to talk to them. I’m just sitting here hoping that somebody, somewhere, thinks I’m the right person. I’d love to talk to somebody about potential jobs that are out there.”
Really, is there a better coach to manage the gifts of Chris Paul than the coach who slowed the game down and uglied it up more than any other coach in the regrettable late 1990s? Still, he makes more sense than a couple names circulating on everybody’s list.
And can we start a campaign to get Reggie Miller considered for head coaching jobs? Anything to get him out of the booth.
- Report: Lakers forward Xavier Henry ruptured Achilles in practice 0
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Life is good in the Golden State 1
- Damian Lillard, as stature grows, refuses to become content 3
- PBT’s Sunday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You may want to try and cover Marc Gasol 9
- Jimmy Butler on Derrick Rose: “We want him to be 100 percent” for the playoffs 11
- Report: Free agent market for Jeff Green is as strong ‘if not stronger’ than it is for Rajon Rondo 20
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 55
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 3