May 5, 2010, 11:36 AM EDT
Every national television commentator with a basketball background is currently being mentioned as a possible head coach somewhere — Jeff Van Gundy, Mark Jackson, Avery Johnson, Doug Collins…
Everyone but Mike Fratello and Reggie Miller.
Fratello tells the New Orleans Times Picayune he’d like to be interviewed too.
On Tuesday, former NBA coach Mike Fratello emerged as the newest candidate the Hornets plan to interview, according to sources. But Fratello said by telephone that he has not been contacted by the Hornets.
“I’d love to talk to them if they want to talk, ” Fratello said. “I’m sure there’s a lot of people who’d like to talk to them. I’m just sitting here hoping that somebody, somewhere, thinks I’m the right person. I’d love to talk to somebody about potential jobs that are out there.”
Really, is there a better coach to manage the gifts of Chris Paul than the coach who slowed the game down and uglied it up more than any other coach in the regrettable late 1990s? Still, he makes more sense than a couple names circulating on everybody’s list.
And can we start a campaign to get Reggie Miller considered for head coaching jobs? Anything to get him out of the booth.
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 8
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 7
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 16
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15