May 5, 2010, 11:36 AM EDT
Every national television commentator with a basketball background is currently being mentioned as a possible head coach somewhere — Jeff Van Gundy, Mark Jackson, Avery Johnson, Doug Collins…
Everyone but Mike Fratello and Reggie Miller.
Fratello tells the New Orleans Times Picayune he’d like to be interviewed too.
On Tuesday, former NBA coach Mike Fratello emerged as the newest candidate the Hornets plan to interview, according to sources. But Fratello said by telephone that he has not been contacted by the Hornets.
“I’d love to talk to them if they want to talk, ” Fratello said. “I’m sure there’s a lot of people who’d like to talk to them. I’m just sitting here hoping that somebody, somewhere, thinks I’m the right person. I’d love to talk to somebody about potential jobs that are out there.”
Really, is there a better coach to manage the gifts of Chris Paul than the coach who slowed the game down and uglied it up more than any other coach in the regrettable late 1990s? Still, he makes more sense than a couple names circulating on everybody’s list.
And can we start a campaign to get Reggie Miller considered for head coaching jobs? Anything to get him out of the booth.
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 1
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 0
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 3
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 47
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 65
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 7
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 31