May 5, 2010, 11:36 AM EST
Every national television commentator with a basketball background is currently being mentioned as a possible head coach somewhere — Jeff Van Gundy, Mark Jackson, Avery Johnson, Doug Collins…
Everyone but Mike Fratello and Reggie Miller.
Fratello tells the New Orleans Times Picayune he’d like to be interviewed too.
On Tuesday, former NBA coach Mike Fratello emerged as the newest candidate the Hornets plan to interview, according to sources. But Fratello said by telephone that he has not been contacted by the Hornets.
“I’d love to talk to them if they want to talk, ” Fratello said. “I’m sure there’s a lot of people who’d like to talk to them. I’m just sitting here hoping that somebody, somewhere, thinks I’m the right person. I’d love to talk to somebody about potential jobs that are out there.”
Really, is there a better coach to manage the gifts of Chris Paul than the coach who slowed the game down and uglied it up more than any other coach in the regrettable late 1990s? Still, he makes more sense than a couple names circulating on everybody’s list.
And can we start a campaign to get Reggie Miller considered for head coaching jobs? Anything to get him out of the booth.
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 0
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 15
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 17
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 1
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 16
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 30