May 5, 2010, 8:42 AM EDT
The two big guns have sat down with Sixers management — broadcaster and former coach Doug Collins, plus former Mavericks coach and current studio analyst for ESPN Avery Johnson.
Now for the second wave, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer.
The 76ers have completed two formal interviews for their coaching vacancy, meeting with Doug Collins and Avery Johnson, and are in the process of arranging a third, most likely with former NBA point guard Mark Jackson.
Also in the mix is current Portland Trail Blazers assistant coach Monty Williams, according to a source close to the situation.
Jackson had a long and impressive NBA career, from which he went straight into broadcasting. He has never coached. But he is a catch-phrase machine, and that’s what the Sixers need more than anything right now.
(Can you picture Jackson in a huddle looking at a player who just gave up a three to LeBron saying, “Hands down, man down.” Or looking at Jrue Holliday getting outplayed by Rajon Rondo and saying, “There ya go, young fella.”)
Williams is a Notre Dame alumnus who had a 10-year NBA career, including a stint with the Sixers. He is currently Nate McMillan’s top assistant in Portland.
The Sixers are reportedly going to look at and talk to some other top assistants, such as Dwane Casey (Dallas), Tom Thibodeau (Boston) and Mike Budenholzer (San Antonio).
But not a one of those is a catch phrase machine.
- Old tweets: Kevin Durant uses gay slurs (including at Russell Westbrook), Damian Lillard rips LeBron James 11
- Wednesday night’s NBA winners, losers: Chris Bosh wants you to know he is a No. 1 option 13
- Rajon Rondo leads Celtics to rout of Nets. How much does it mean? 7
- Bulls cruise to 24-point opening night win over Knicks 13
- Lakers’ rookie Julius Randle has surgery to repair fractured tibia, out for season 16
- Anthony Davis has zero chance of winning MVP this season 38
- Dwight Howard says he wants to move on from Kobe, Lakers. Actions show feud going strong. 48
- NBA Opening Night Winners/Losers: Big nights for The Beard and The Brow 27