May 5, 2010, 8:14 PM EDT
Antoine Walker needs money. Desperately. And the NBA pays very well.
So, you can guess what he’s thinking. We’re all thinking this is a bad and sad idea. But he’s thinking money. Walker is working out with the University of Louisville because one can always dream of a comeback. The Associated Press has the details (via Ball Don’t Lie).
Louisville coach Rick Pitino says Walker will work out with several Cardinals over the next few weeks. Walker hasn’t played in the NBA since 2008 and has suffered legal and financial woes since stepping away from the game….Pitino, who coached Walker at Kentucky in the 1990s, said he also hopes Walker will talk to his players about the temptations that come with life as a professional.
Walker owes some Vegas casinos close to $1 million as part of a settlement deal. That’s a lot of scratch, so he’s trying to play basketball to get it back.
I am resisting the urge to mock this because it’s tragic and sad. Time has passed the former All-Star by. Remember that this year he went to the Puerto Rican league and was sacked after playing just eight games where he averaged 12.1 points per game on 41 percent shooting and 22 percent from three. He shot just 52 percent from the free throw line. It was not pretty. Guys who can’t score in and get cut from the Puerto Rican league rarely make he leap to the NBA. Especially those who will be 34 next season.
I guess he’s got to try. But this is not going to end well. Sadly.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 42
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18