May 5, 2010, 8:14 PM EST
Antoine Walker needs money. Desperately. And the NBA pays very well.
So, you can guess what he’s thinking. We’re all thinking this is a bad and sad idea. But he’s thinking money. Walker is working out with the University of Louisville because one can always dream of a comeback. The Associated Press has the details (via Ball Don’t Lie).
Louisville coach Rick Pitino says Walker will work out with several Cardinals over the next few weeks. Walker hasn’t played in the NBA since 2008 and has suffered legal and financial woes since stepping away from the game….Pitino, who coached Walker at Kentucky in the 1990s, said he also hopes Walker will talk to his players about the temptations that come with life as a professional.
Walker owes some Vegas casinos close to $1 million as part of a settlement deal. That’s a lot of scratch, so he’s trying to play basketball to get it back.
I am resisting the urge to mock this because it’s tragic and sad. Time has passed the former All-Star by. Remember that this year he went to the Puerto Rican league and was sacked after playing just eight games where he averaged 12.1 points per game on 41 percent shooting and 22 percent from three. He shot just 52 percent from the free throw line. It was not pretty. Guys who can’t score in and get cut from the Puerto Rican league rarely make he leap to the NBA. Especially those who will be 34 next season.
I guess he’s got to try. But this is not going to end well. Sadly.
- Knicks snap nine-game losing streak by crushing depleted Nets 0
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 5
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 4
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 13
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 13
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (36)