May 5, 2010, 1:11 PM EST
Freddy Krueger is back. So is another lawsuit to block the plans for the Atlantic Yards development that will be the new home of the Nets in Brooklyn.
Both will not die. And both are only back because of the money.
Peter Williams insists he still owns the air rights over a Sixth Ave. lot – and says the state forgot to condemn it when they used eminent domain to seize the rest of the site.
He sued the state Tuesday, charging the Empire State Development Corp. is trying to “steal” his property and “intends to proceed as if it owns property it plainly does not…
He was one of a group of home and business owners who fought all the way to the state’s highest court to stop eminent domain seizures for the new Barclays Center arena and 16-tower project, and lost. The state took possession of the Sixth Ave. building where Williams’ grown children lived on March 1 – but never filed to condemn the air rights he owns over the former condo building next door.
So, he no longer owns the ground and building but he still owns the air over them? Really? Apparently this is some kind of normal thing, but I come back to: Really? Air rights? This is going to hold up the project after the State Supreme Court shot down his last lawsuit? Really?
The money quote from Williams is, “I have something of value that they’re not paying me for.”
It’s about getting more money. It is always about the money. Always.
Until this is settled, Williams can’t claim “vacant possession” of the land, which has to happen before the sale of the Nets to Russian billionaire Mikhail Prokhorov can be finalized. And the Nets continue to live in limbo.
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 24
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 12
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 6
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 22
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 17
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (48)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (44)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)