May 5, 2010, 1:11 PM EDT
Freddy Krueger is back. So is another lawsuit to block the plans for the Atlantic Yards development that will be the new home of the Nets in Brooklyn.
Both will not die. And both are only back because of the money.
Peter Williams insists he still owns the air rights over a Sixth Ave. lot – and says the state forgot to condemn it when they used eminent domain to seize the rest of the site.
He sued the state Tuesday, charging the Empire State Development Corp. is trying to “steal” his property and “intends to proceed as if it owns property it plainly does not…
He was one of a group of home and business owners who fought all the way to the state’s highest court to stop eminent domain seizures for the new Barclays Center arena and 16-tower project, and lost. The state took possession of the Sixth Ave. building where Williams’ grown children lived on March 1 – but never filed to condemn the air rights he owns over the former condo building next door.
So, he no longer owns the ground and building but he still owns the air over them? Really? Apparently this is some kind of normal thing, but I come back to: Really? Air rights? This is going to hold up the project after the State Supreme Court shot down his last lawsuit? Really?
The money quote from Williams is, “I have something of value that they’re not paying me for.”
It’s about getting more money. It is always about the money. Always.
Until this is settled, Williams can’t claim “vacant possession” of the land, which has to happen before the sale of the Nets to Russian billionaire Mikhail Prokhorov can be finalized. And the Nets continue to live in limbo.
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 8
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 2
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 12
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 31
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29