Suns will wear "Los Suns" Jerseys as part of Arizona immigration bill protest

May 4, 2010, 5:18 PM EDT

This took some real cajones.

The controversial immigration bill (SB 1070) just signed into law in Arizona — which allows police making a “legal contact” to demand citizenship papers and makes it illegal not to have them on you — is popular with the majority of voters in the state. Those people are the Suns fan base, the people who fill the US Airways Center, and will again Wednesday night.

And they will see a home team wearing their “Los Suns” jerseys, part of a protest of the bill that included bold statements from several players and the team owner in opposition to it. A protest that was voted on and approved in the Suns locker room and by management will take place on Cinco do Mayo.

The politically active Steve Nash spoke out against the law, as Bright Side of the Sun reported.

“I think the law is very misguided. I think it is unfortunately to the detriment to our society and our civil liberties and I think it is very important for us to stand up for things we believe in,” Nash said of the bill. “I think the law obviously can target opportunities for racial profiling. Things we don’t want to see and don’t need to see in 2010.”

Team owner Robert Sarver added his voice, via the Arizona Republic:

“The frustration with the federal government’s failure to deal with the issue of illegal immigration resulted in passage of a flawed state law,” Sarver said in a statement released by the Suns on Tuesday morning. “However intended, the result of passing this law is that our basic principles of equal rights and protection under the law are being called into question, and Arizona’s already struggling economy will suffer even further setbacks at a time when the state can ill-afford them.”

“I looked around our plane and looked at our players and the diversity in our organization,” Sarver said. “I thought we need to go on record that we honor our diversity in our team, in the NBA and we need to show support for that. As for the political part of that, that’s my statement.”

Immigration is a complex issue, one where economic and trade policies of many nations impact local economies and force people to migrate to find economic safety and a better way of life. It has been that way since the first cities were formed. And almost since that time, laws have been put up to stop this immigration. Like so many things in our nation, this is a complex problem with politicians trying to implement simplistic answers and often failing to do even that.

But whatever you think of the new law, you have to admit it takes some real balls for the Suns to make this statement in defiance of their fan base. Or cajones, if you prefer. Although, shouldn’t the jerseys really read, “Los Sols?”

696 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. Anonymous - May 5, 2010 at 11:23 AM

EXACTLY! LIFE IS FULL OF TOUGH CHOICES………..EVENTUALLY SOMEONE HAS TO MAKE THEM FOR EVERYONE ELSE.

2. Andrew - May 5, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Congratulations to the ballsey Phoenix Suns for standing up to intolerance. I hope they win the championship now.

3. Jeffrey - May 5, 2010 at 11:24 AM

I hope the Suns play in front of an empty house. The majority of Arizonans approve of the legislation because the fderal government will do nothing to protect the rights of the US citizens in Arizona.
    Steve Nash needs to get his liberal butt back to Canada and stay out of our affairs.

4. Andrew - May 5, 2010 at 11:24 AM

5. Christy - May 5, 2010 at 11:24 AM

jc, did you read the title of this story?

6. Dave Carver - May 5, 2010 at 11:27 AM

Huh??? The Los Suns are losing a lot of fans today. Us simple people that pay taxes and abide by the law don’t understand what the big deal is about enforcing our laws. If you go to ANY other country they will ask you for documentation but NOT IN AMERICA, that would be racist. There is little common sense with the group that doesn’t want America to enforce its laws.

7. Anonymous - May 5, 2010 at 11:29 AM

I would love to know if anyone has actually READ this law. It states that a police officer may ask for papers is there is a “reasonable cause”, not just because you were speeding, broken taillight, etc. Every civilized country in the world expects its citizens to carrying idendification. If you have it, it’s not a lot to ask. Get over yourselves and try to help instead of hinder. The Phoenix Suns and owners should be ashamed of themselves!

8. john richardson - May 5, 2010 at 11:32 AM

Well spoken, you spic bigot (fun being targeted for race, isn’t it?) If we moved all the right wing whacko jesus freaks, along with mccain out of Arizona, the average IQ of the state would skyrocket!

9. Marcy - May 5, 2010 at 11:34 AM

Thanks for pointing out that some of the Suns players are not “true Americans”. In fact some are not Americans at all, as are MANY people who legally reside and work in the United States.
    Few civilized countries require “citizens” to carry identification, thankfully, and requiring a national identity card or some other pap is a ridiculous infringement on our basic right to go about our business without a permit, license or other piece of paper from the wonderful federal or state government.

10. justice fleeting - May 5, 2010 at 11:35 AM

Suns season tickets. Gone baby! Stick with Basketball and stay out of politics for God sake.

11. juan - May 5, 2010 at 11:36 AM

estas super pendejo, PENDEJO!!!!!! Quando estes en el bote, no llores puto.

12. Irritated AZ native - May 5, 2010 at 11:38 AM

Yet another piece of proof that the NBA is full of overpayed prima donnas with supporting coaches. Are you kidding me? I am pretty sure neither one of them have read the law itself. Any respect that I had for the Phoenix Suns is GONE and I hope they play to an empty house. Last time I checked the majority of Arizonians support this law, so why is it always the squeeky wheel that gets the grease? It is a simple LEGAL vs. ILLEGAL. You either have papers or you don’t. Unfortunately, the ones that don’t have papers are bankrupting the state, literally! Good for you Governor! No other country in the world would put up with this crap! Heaven forbid someones feelings get hurt or something is done that is not politically correct!

13. Marcy - May 5, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Kevin,
    You are misguided and misinformed. There are many people who are legally in the United States and do not have a “green card” and have no obligation to produce one on request from some racist cop hellbent on capturing brown people.
    And that is exactly who WILL be harassed even more with the passage of this law, brown people.
    I have no obligation as I walk down the street to produce any sort of identification. But with the passage of the new law I run the risk of getting hauled off to jail for further questioning if I don’t have some evidence on my person that I am in the country legally.
    No thanks honey, if you want to catch illegal immigrants find another way.

14. Kurt - May 5, 2010 at 11:43 AM

You’ll change you tune when you forget your papers…There were also Jews who thought sewing a star on their clothes was no big deal. I’m not a liberal, I’m a Patriot, a Veteran, a natural born American and as such, I recognize what America is supposed to stand for…and it’s not Gestapo-like terrorizing of people of color–like you. As much as you want to be one of us or at least a good little immigrant, you’re still brown and will still be hassled by the Himmler henchmen. Don’t run to the store after dark, don’t even go to the mailbox without your papers.
    And what jobs are they stealing moron? Are you really clamoring to get a job picking lettuce?! Please.

15. Jean - May 5, 2010 at 11:44 AM

Define “reasonable cause”. Do you think a cop should be expected to define it without ever making an error? Do you think a blonde blue-eyed vacationer will be stopped and asked to show her papers and then hauled down to the police station if she doesn’t have them? The law doesn’t state that only illegals will be stopped. My husband, kids, and I might be stopped if we happen to annoy the wrong cop on the wrong day – they are human and make mistakes. Quick – do you have your papers on you right now? Do you take them when you go hiking in the Grand Canyon? Yes, illegal immigration should be stopped. But for those of us born and raised and legal US citizens this stupid law is a great reason to vacation somewhere else! Luckily our hotel reservations can be cancelled. Vegas here we come!

16. Anonymous - May 5, 2010 at 11:45 AM

An illegal just killed an Arizona Sheriff Deputy just days ago, look it up!

17. Christy - May 5, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Marcy, I hope you enjoy the warmth of the Amnesty blanket you will be sharing with all your “brown people”, hope you don’t choke on the heat it provides! I don’t think “No thanks honey” will get the blanket removed either.

18. JBK - May 5, 2010 at 11:52 AM

We aren’t Norsemen. We don’t raid. You’re a fool obviously, one because you mispelled the word pillage, but two for mispelling because. Additionally, if you think that fixing the immigration problem outweighs the economy and health care issues our country faces, you have your priorities seriously misaligned.

19. Adam - May 5, 2010 at 11:56 AM

GO SUNS! This seems to me an instance where those who “have” are actually helping those who “have not.” All of the ignorant racists on this message board who have a problem with “Los Suns” expose themselves as what they truely are, hateful.
    Mexicans are human beings! If an NBA basketball team can help our fellow humans from Mexico by showing their support against a NAzi-like Immigration Bill than that is the opposite of the hate we see surrounding this issue. The politics of the AZ Bill or the team jerseys dont mean sh*t when there is love between people of any color because human lives on both sides of a border are made better.
    This is the truest spirit of professional sports, … improving our community. Thats what all of this competition is about. You thought it was the money and the glory of the championship title didnt you? Thats because everyone who has a problem with LOS SUNS has hate that makes them selfish and that selfishness makes them ignorant and their ignorance makes them hateful again.
    Wake up sports fans! we are stronger together than divided! We can enjoy the NBA more when we know that we didnt have to supress Mexican people to do it. It seems to me the Suns just rallied their base, Latino basketball fans! GO LOS SUNS!

20. SKAKA - May 5, 2010 at 11:57 AM

I am now a Suns fan! These players are clearly more intelligent than the average Arizonian.

21. Anonymous - May 5, 2010 at 11:59 AM

What taxes do the illegals pay that you liberals think Arizona is missing out on. Sales tax and that’s it! They don’t pay state income tax, federal income tax, social security, medicare or any other of the things that everyone else pays to live here, they sponge off of the working people that do pay! I can’t believe people are against this law!

22. Appomattox - May 5, 2010 at 12:00 PM

LOL… Really?
    Lee lost. Jefferson Davis lost. The Union was preserved. Sorry the news missed you.

23. Christy - May 5, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Um, hello, illegals are a major part of the ECONOMY and HEALHCARE problem. Do some homework! “Misaligned”?? Please explain.

24. JD - May 5, 2010 at 12:06 PM

I bet some people who support the SB 1070 don’t even have to worry about the color of their skin… I can’t wait to tan myself and wear a sombrero to see how “some people” really treat me…
    Kudos for Nash, the owner and the team… Los Suns in 6 over los spurs and then los lakers!!

25. Ray - May 5, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Ok and I vote to not watch any games featuring the “Los Suns” this season.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches