Suns will wear "Los Suns" Jerseys as part of Arizona immigration bill protest

May 4, 2010, 5:18 PM EDT

This took some real cajones.

The controversial immigration bill (SB 1070) just signed into law in Arizona — which allows police making a “legal contact” to demand citizenship papers and makes it illegal not to have them on you — is popular with the majority of voters in the state. Those people are the Suns fan base, the people who fill the US Airways Center, and will again Wednesday night.

And they will see a home team wearing their “Los Suns” jerseys, part of a protest of the bill that included bold statements from several players and the team owner in opposition to it. A protest that was voted on and approved in the Suns locker room and by management will take place on Cinco do Mayo.

The politically active Steve Nash spoke out against the law, as Bright Side of the Sun reported.

“I think the law is very misguided. I think it is unfortunately to the detriment to our society and our civil liberties and I think it is very important for us to stand up for things we believe in,” Nash said of the bill. “I think the law obviously can target opportunities for racial profiling. Things we don’t want to see and don’t need to see in 2010.”

Team owner Robert Sarver added his voice, via the Arizona Republic:

“The frustration with the federal government’s failure to deal with the issue of illegal immigration resulted in passage of a flawed state law,” Sarver said in a statement released by the Suns on Tuesday morning. “However intended, the result of passing this law is that our basic principles of equal rights and protection under the law are being called into question, and Arizona’s already struggling economy will suffer even further setbacks at a time when the state can ill-afford them.”

“I looked around our plane and looked at our players and the diversity in our organization,” Sarver said. “I thought we need to go on record that we honor our diversity in our team, in the NBA and we need to show support for that. As for the political part of that, that’s my statement.”

Immigration is a complex issue, one where economic and trade policies of many nations impact local economies and force people to migrate to find economic safety and a better way of life. It has been that way since the first cities were formed. And almost since that time, laws have been put up to stop this immigration. Like so many things in our nation, this is a complex problem with politicians trying to implement simplistic answers and often failing to do even that.

But whatever you think of the new law, you have to admit it takes some real balls for the Suns to make this statement in defiance of their fan base. Or cajones, if you prefer. Although, shouldn’t the jerseys really read, “Los Sols?”

696 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. Rob - May 6, 2010 at 5:58 AM

Well the funny thing is that the AZ law has the same verbage as the Federal Law – all it does is allow State Law Officials to enforce what the Feds can enforce but aren’t doing. It truly is a law built from frustration that for years now no one has done anything to stem the immigration problem at the Federal level. There is no ONE answer but getting a large chunk of these people to get into the system and start paying into the State and Federal infrastructure they are using and straining/draining via taxes etc…is a damn good start… You can’t say deport them all..you can’t pidgeon hole them into one stereo type as you don’t just have Latinos, you have Eastern Europeans, Middle Easterners and Asians…it’s a multitude of folks..but we need to either get them on visas or into the citizen ship process. JMHO.

2. yeyo - May 6, 2010 at 5:58 AM

damn right brother Illegal IMmIGRANT, everybody here came from a immigrant family (unless you SURVIVED as a native), as a matter of fact there should be the national holiday “IMMIGRANT DAY” because nobody got here without somebody before them immigrating, when there was nothing, no al-queida, no border, no fence, no canada, no mexico, no redneck KKK, funny how runnaway farmers from europe turned to cowboys from hell (third reich maybe)., screw you – find your mantra soon. karma is coming. you didn’t just employ poor hispanic labor to build this country, you killed natives for sport, and raped africans from their homes made them slaves. now you are done, that’s it, you dont wan’t anybody else. WELL IS TO LATE.

3. mad poet - May 6, 2010 at 6:36 AM

Bravo! and again…bravo!

4. mad poet - May 6, 2010 at 6:43 AM

Hey Kurt, If you are going to use a Spanish word to give your article some cachet, you should check the spelling. The word for gonads is “cojones” not “cajones” which means “(large) boxes” or “crates”.

5. Pg - May 6, 2010 at 6:47 AM

Way to go!!!!
    the govener has bigger ones then Obama for doing what is right!The illegals should leave this country and take thier buddy AL with them Mabey he can march in Mexico about something!
    Why is this issue and while we are at it why wasn’t the health care bill on a ballot for we the people to vote on?

6. danm3 - May 6, 2010 at 7:19 AM

Let them war the jerseys! The minute they walk on the floor with them on pull all/any tax breaks the team gets. Then pull a full background investigation into the organization. That will shake up the team. hehehe

7. Anonymous - May 6, 2010 at 7:46 AM

I’ve never been asked for an ID in the US except coming through Immigration, pulled over for a traffic violation, some CC purchases, writing a check, and maybe getting into a bar. Never been randomly stopped. I’ve been in the following countries in the last ten years Switzerland, Germany, France, Belgium, Holland, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, UAE (Dubai), Canada, UK. The only one I’ve been asked randomly for my “papers” is Saudi Arabia. All others however except Canada and the UK I needed my passport to check into a hotel.
    Now that I think about it I suppose a little inconvience in order to address illegal immigrants isn’t to bad. It does seem a little offensive though if my wife was asked for ID because she has Latino parents and obviously looks (is)Latino. Especially since there are 36 million americans of hispanic decent.

8. Anonymous - May 6, 2010 at 9:03 AM

HUH? What part of the country do you live in where if you don’t have ID on the street you get a ticket?? What if you live in the city and don’t drive? No License. This one makes no sense, you don’t need to have ID with you all the time, last I checked, we don’t have a national id card (thankfully).

9. tjm - May 6, 2010 at 10:28 AM

How about a jersey that says “Los Losers”? Or one that says “Los Illegal? No Comprende!” Or one that says “Los Aiders & Abetters” or the espaniol equivalent.

10. A - May 6, 2010 at 11:33 AM

I was so disappointed when I saw the Suns jerseys last night. Remember you play for the USA not Mexico.

11. Blackanese - May 6, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Obviously none of you have been profiled. How do cops pull me over to “Check my papers” or “see what im up to” you ask??
    They pull me over for NOT SIGNALING WITHIN 100 FEET OF A LANE CHANGE. How many of you veer into the right lane when taking a left turn at an intersection? That is ILLEGAL so make sure you have your seatbelt on, cell phone out of reach, and papers in order if you look like a foreign exchange student.
    As for illegal immigrants using food stamps. That is not possible you must provide legal status and an INS check is mandatory.
    Rental Assistance can be used by Illegals due to various local and state laws however only 30,000 people (0.4%) have been identified by HUD as ineligible non-citizens. Some of them are student visa holders.
    Healthcare should be restricted to emergency care only.

12. Putin - May 6, 2010 at 12:48 PM

You must be a TERRIBLE writer. No one’s going to read YOUR diatribe. Ha! You spent all that time frothing at the mouth with your hatred and, who the hell are you, that we should read that long-ass hillbilly toothless treatise by YOU, a loser redneck, no doubt. How you can even access the internet is wonder.

13. Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin - May 6, 2010 at 12:57 PM

If Louis58 is TRULY an Hispanic, then I am a short Russian dude named, Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin. But you, being a hillbilly rube will have to look up who Putin is. You appear to be a poseur (again, look up that word). But most people can see right through to what you really are: a simple racist.

14. Anonymous - May 6, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Oh boy someone sure does love Steve Nashs’ underwear (stalker). By the way there is a reason they’re called illegals, because they’re illegals. HA, so much hatred. hehehehe

15. nick - May 6, 2010 at 2:24 PM

I dont mind so much if they’re in the country – a lot of them do work hard and do jobs that others wouldnt do.
    But they should be paying taxes on what they earn. They are using a system, and causing the state billions of dollars, illegally. Give them some kind of workers card, and force them to pay taxes, medical insurance, and other benefits that they just free-ride on. If they want to be here, they should pay to be here, just like every other American.
    Granted, their tax bills might be small. So add an extra healthcare taxes, specialized for immigrants (non-citizens). That way, if they show up at the hospital, they can pay for it. If they don’t want to pay or cant pay, get the hell out of America. Why are my tax dollars going to illegal free-riders?

16. Dahan - May 6, 2010 at 3:26 PM

As someone who’s worked border patrol in AZ and Cali as a Marine and someone who has a friend who’s been on the front line as a beat cop in AZ for almost two decades, I can tell you that this bill is complete BS. I live in MN now and of course pull for my T-Wolves (even though the suck). However, I’m going to go find a “Los Suns” jersey or similar and buy it today. I haven’t been to an NBA game in 8 years. I’ll go the next time they’re here. I will NOT visit AZ again until this law is repealed or overturned.
    Have fun down there… Oh, can’t wait to see the impending disaster that’s going to be the baseball All-Star game as well.

17. smiley - May 6, 2010 at 4:03 PM

Hello…I love sport esp. football. But let just play ball and WIN THE GAME. Then you all can b@@@@ about everything when the SUN OR LOS SUN WIN. Who care what they do. I just want the Team to win so for now just cheer them on. By the way am A WHITE, MEXICAN, NATIVE AMERICAN INDAIN, BLACK PERSON.. GO SUNS.. GO SUN..GO LOS SUN..LOS SUN.. LOS SUN….

18. john moxon - May 6, 2010 at 4:26 PM

I came to this country from England LEGALLY, my wife came here from Chile LEGALLY. Her family and my family all came LEGALLY. We respect the laws of this country. We love the constitution. I know many Mexicans and yes they are good, hard working family people for the most part but many of them are, by the very letter and spirit of the law, law breakers-criminals. Since the economy seems to need them I would like to see a way to allow them working Visas.
    I also have friends from India who are very talented individuals. Some work in the Cancer research field and some work in computer science or are in incubator business’s which are the backbone of small business entrepreneurship. They have to worry all the time about their H1b visas. When they are up they dont go into hiding they either hope to find another sponsor or return to India.
    I recently g0t together with my extended family for a birthday party all 30 or so of us. All agreed that people should only come here legally. Many of them have become naturalized citizens and understand the Constitution its amendments and the Bill of Rights and see the infiltration of illegals (or undocumented) as an affront to the laws of this country and to the steps they had to take to come here under the right circumstances.
    Arizona is a sovereign state (as are all states)and has the right to protect its borders particularly in the absence of effective enforcement from the Federal Government.

19. azmud - May 6, 2010 at 5:15 PM

As To My Comments:
    The Arizona Law is referring to ILLEGAL IMMIGRATES…. That people who have no LEGAL right to be in the U S of A…. If people get a green card to work in the US; I have no problem at all with them being here, but ILLEGAL means ILLEGAL…
    If I was to try to go into Russia, China, Iran, or North Korea; what would happen to me? Believe me, far worse things than any illegal gets (or will get) in Arizona.
    As to the SUNS making a “statement,” who cares… I’m not watch anyway. I use to never miss a Suns game; but everybody (who has a brain!) knows that the NBA is a “RATINGS” organization. That means that they are all for making as much money as they can with the NBA playoffs. I read in the newspaper that the Suns won game 2 of there match-up with the Spurs….
    Look at the number of fouls that were called against the Suns this last game (21, for 22 free throws by the Spurs!); Spurs fouls were higher (31, for 37 Suns free throws!). Knowing how the NBA is; you can bet your last dollar that the Suns will be called for many more fouls than the Spurs (with the Spurs playing at home!)… That’s how the NBA controls who wins and who loses the different series of the Play Offs…
    You can bet that the NBA wants a long series (a lot of advertising dollars!) during the play offs… With the highest (rating wise) teams getting the nod at the end of the series… Right now, my bet would be on a Lakers-Cavs NBA final… The fix is almost always on folks…… That’s Stern’s way…
    Back to the original subject (Suns making a statement!); folks if you’re here legally, I welcome you with open arms. Illegally, I don’t want to see you, pay for your health care or hospital stays, etc. We have way too many people here in the U S that legally need tax dollars for their care already (and I don’t have a problem, paying taxes to take care of them!); let alone getting more people who don’t pay taxes, yet use those dollars up, to spite the legals that need help.
    Tom M

20. azmud - May 6, 2010 at 5:25 PM

Your “respect” isn’t worth a red cent; you have no clue what’s going on the dry desert air of Arizona…. You guys have already messed up your state (California); now you keep coming over to Arizona to try to mess up ours. Droves of Cals are “immigrating” to Arizona; to get away from idiots like YOU.
    You’re brain dead!
    Tom M

21. GARY HAMMONDS - May 6, 2010 at 10:08 PM

I’VE GOT ONE FOR THE SUNS OWNER ROBERT SARVER & STEVE NASH ! WANT TO MAKE A POLITICAL STATEMENT ? HOW ABOUT A SUNS JERSY PROTESTING THE KILLING OF A CATTLE RANCHER THE LATE ” ROBERT KRENTZ ” 58 YEARS OLD FROM JUST NORTH OF DOUGLAS , ARIZONA KILLED ON HIS OWN 34,000 ACRE RANCH BY AN ILLEGAL ALIEN HE WAS TRYING TO HELP!!! GUNNED DOWN IN COLD BLOOD AND LEFT TO DIE LIKE A DOG !!! WHERE’S JUSTICE FOR THIS TRUE AMERICAN ? A MAN THAT HAD NO POLITICAL MOTIVE , JUST TRYING TO HELP HIS FELLOW MAN ON EITHER SIDE OF THE BORDER , I DON’T SEE ANY OUTRAGE OVER HIS DEATH . IT’S TIME TO STAND UP AMERICA ! IF YOU’RE HERE ILLEGALLY AND GET PULL OVER BY LAW ENFORCEMENT AND CAN’T SHOW PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP IN THE WAY OF A STATE DRIVERS LICENSE , GREEN CARD ETC. THEN YOU SHOULD BE DEPORTED THE WAY THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA LAW READS ! BEFORE ONE MORE HONEST HARD WORKING AMERICAN IS KILLED BY A ILLEGAL ALIEN . WAKE UP AMERICA YOU COULD BE THAT DEATH YOU READ ABOUT , MY PRAYERS GO OUT TO THE KRENTZ FAMILY FOR YOUR LOSS OF A LOVED ONE AND A TRUE AMERICAN , THANK YOU GAET HAMMONDS

22. Andrew - May 7, 2010 at 2:37 AM

READ THE FOLLOWING YOU IGNORANT MORRON. WHAT A SHAME UNEDUCATED MORRON.
    There is a misconception that people working here without “papers” do not pay taxes. I invite you and all others making these comments without valid facts…to get the FACTS STRAIGHT. Go to the IRS and find out how many billions of dollars people using an ITIN number and filing taxes are contributing to the U.S.. Also find out how much of this money goes unclaimed year after year. Millions and millions of dollars if not billions. So before making “undeducated comments”, please get the facts straight. Erroneous that people without “papers” get paid cash.. Sure, there maybe a few, but the majority..and I am talking millions……get paid with a regular paycheck and with all the tax deductions including social security. Social Security money that will be used to PAY FOR YOUR RETIREMENT..idiots. Yes. the social security check that you will be receiving when you retire will be thanks to the contributions of billions of dollars that undocumented workers have added to the system.
    HOW MUCH IGNORANCE IS OUT THERE. ALL THE PEOPLE MAKING NEGATIVE STATEMENTS WITHOUT FACTS CALL YOURSELVES US CITIZENS. WHAT A SHAME.

23. Debbie - May 7, 2010 at 11:31 PM

PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO READ THIS!!! IT’S VERY INFORMATIVE…ALL THE HYPE HAS MADE ARIZONANS SOUND LIKE A BUNCH OF IDIOTS!!
    Arizona State Senator Sylvia Allen. I want to explain SB 1070
    I’m Arizona State Senator Sylvia Allen. I want to explain SB 1070 which I voted for and was just signed by Governor Jan Brewer.
    Rancher Rob Krantz was murdered by the drug cartel on his ranch a month ago. I participated in a senate hearing two weeks ago on the border violence, here is just some of the highlights from those who testified.
    The people who live within 60 to 80 miles of the Arizona/Mexico Border have for years been terrorized and have pleaded for help to stop the daily invasion of humans who cross their property . One Rancher testified that 300 to 1200 people a DAY come across his ranch vandalizing his property, stealing his vehicles and property, cutting down his fences, and leaving trash. In the last two years he has found 17 dead bodies and two Koran bibles.
    Another rancher testified that daily drugs are brought across his ranch in a military operation. A point man with a machine gun goes in front, 1/2 mile behind are the guards fully armed, 1/2 mile behind them are the drugs, behind the drugs 1/2 mile are more guards. These people are violent and they will kill anyone who gets in the way. This was not the only rancher we heard that day that talked about the drug trains.
    One man told of two illegal’s who came upon his property one shot in the back and the other in the arm by the drug runners who had forced them to carry the drugs and then shot them. Daily they listen to gun fire during the night it is not safe to leave his family alone on the ranch and they can’t leave the ranch for fear of nothing being left when they come back.
    The border patrol is not on the border. They have set up 60 miles away with check points that do nothing to stop the invasion. They are not allowed to use force in stopping anyone who is entering. They run around chasing them, if they get their hands on them then they can take them back across the border.
    Federal prisons have over 35% illegal’s and 20% of Arizona prisons are filled with illegal’s. In the last few years 80% of our law enforcement that have been killed or wounded have been by an illegal.
    The majority of people coming now are people we need to be worried about. The ranchers told us that they have seen a change in the people coming they are not just those who are looking for work and a better life.
    The Federal Government has refused for years to do anything to help the border states. We have been over run and once they are here we have the burden of funding state services that they use. Education cost have been over a billion dollars. The healthcare cost billions of dollars. Our State is broke, $3.5 billion deficit and we have many serious decisions to make. One is that we do not have the money to care for any who are not here legally. It has to stop.
    The border can be secured. We have the technology we have the ability to stop this invasion. We must know who is coming and they must come in an organized manner legally so that we can assimilate them into our population and protect the sovereignty of our country. We are a nation of laws. We have a responsibility to protect our citizens and to protect the integrity of our country and the government which we live under.
    I would give amnesty today to many, but here is the problem, we dare not do this until the Border is secure. It will do no good to forgive them because thousands will come behind them and we will be over run to the point that there will no longer be the United States of America but a North American Union of open borders. I ask you what form of government will we live under? How long will it be before we will be just like Mexico, Canada or any of the other Central American or South American countries? We have already lost our language, everything must be printed in Spanish also. We have already lost our history it is no longer taught in our schools. And we have lost our borders.
    The leftist media has distorted what SB 1070 will do. It is not going to set up a Nazi Germany. Are you kidding. The ACLU and the leftist courts will do everything to protect those who are here illegally, but it was an effort to try and stop illegal’s from setting up businesses, and employment, and receiving state services and give the ability to local law enforcement when there is probable cause like a traffic stop to determine if they are here legally. Federal law is very clear if you are here on a visa you must have your papers on you at all times. That is the law. In Arizona all you need to show you are a legal citizen is a driver license, MVD identification card, Native American Card, or a Military ID. This is what you need to vote, get a hunting license, etc.. So nothing new has been added to this law. No one is going to be stopped walking down the street etc… The Socialist who are in power in DC are angry because we dare try and do something and that something the Socialist wants us to do is just let them come. They want the “Transformation” to continue.
    Maybe it is too late to save America. Maybe we are not worthy of freedom anymore. But as an elected official I must try to do what I can to protect our Constitutional Republic. Living in America is not a right just because you can walk across the border. Being an American is a responsibility and it comes by respecting and upholding the Constitution the law of our land which says what you must do to be a citizen of this country. Freedom is not free.
    Hotmail has tools for the New Busy. Search, chat and e-mail from your inbox. Learn more.

24. Mi'chelle A. Bockover - May 8, 2010 at 12:17 PM

I thought sports were entertainment! When did we turn political? Are we supposed to cowtow,And put up with politics now destroying our free time? I think the suns are just doing what will get them a bigger hispanic base. It’s in poor taste and discretion. Not only the hispanics will be effected by this law. All nationalities will. How about homeland security? How about terrorism? If we want to turn it against the hispanics we can look at drugs, the gangs, kidnappings. All this has become worse. These things make money in mexico and south america. The suns have lost a large fan base in other states. Namely Florida! By the way we also have a very large and proud latin community! Especially in tampa bay where I live. Go spurs and we hope you get knocked out of the playoffs. If not, go whoever you come up against. I f you don’t like our laws, it’s simple! Leave!!!!!

25. Mi'chelle A. Bockover - May 8, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Ok,I have posted then spet 3 hrs reading other posts. Illegal means AGAINST the legal law. I’m Irish, I’m very glad that my poor ancestors LEGALLY came to America. I hve also known quite a few ILLEGALS. I waitressed 40 yrs.[low paying job I proudly did] They sent 3/4 of ALL their pay to Mexico. They paid no taxes. Used false I.D. I unfortunately have had my I.D. stolen 3 times. It has cost me thousands. Let’s not forget the first slavs were Irish. So yes ALL nationalities have racism problems. We have hispanic heritage month. It,s a NATIONAL holiday! How can you say we discriminate against the ethniticity? My son would gladly take any job, no matter the pay.He can’t find one. ILLEGAL aliens is a national problem. We live in tampa bay,Fl.We would not be allowed to go to another country and bash their laws.It’s lifethreatening to go to some of central and south America. Yet we go spend ur hard earned money. Have visas, follow their laws. I don’t see the problem with the new law. Bravo Arizona! I also have a wallet sized birth certificate I carry around. Their available. Same size as a license. We should look at the good of this law. We’re so P.C. we sent our own kids home for wearing patriotic clothes to school.This is pathetic.Go home Nash, and your gang. Oh I forgot your here for the MONEY!

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches