Suns will wear "Los Suns" Jerseys as part of Arizona immigration bill protest

May 4, 2010, 5:18 PM EDT

This took some real cajones.

The controversial immigration bill (SB 1070) just signed into law in Arizona — which allows police making a “legal contact” to demand citizenship papers and makes it illegal not to have them on you — is popular with the majority of voters in the state. Those people are the Suns fan base, the people who fill the US Airways Center, and will again Wednesday night.

And they will see a home team wearing their “Los Suns” jerseys, part of a protest of the bill that included bold statements from several players and the team owner in opposition to it. A protest that was voted on and approved in the Suns locker room and by management will take place on Cinco do Mayo.

The politically active Steve Nash spoke out against the law, as Bright Side of the Sun reported.

“I think the law is very misguided. I think it is unfortunately to the detriment to our society and our civil liberties and I think it is very important for us to stand up for things we believe in,” Nash said of the bill. “I think the law obviously can target opportunities for racial profiling. Things we don’t want to see and don’t need to see in 2010.”

Team owner Robert Sarver added his voice, via the Arizona Republic:

“The frustration with the federal government’s failure to deal with the issue of illegal immigration resulted in passage of a flawed state law,” Sarver said in a statement released by the Suns on Tuesday morning. “However intended, the result of passing this law is that our basic principles of equal rights and protection under the law are being called into question, and Arizona’s already struggling economy will suffer even further setbacks at a time when the state can ill-afford them.”

“I looked around our plane and looked at our players and the diversity in our organization,” Sarver said. “I thought we need to go on record that we honor our diversity in our team, in the NBA and we need to show support for that. As for the political part of that, that’s my statement.”

Immigration is a complex issue, one where economic and trade policies of many nations impact local economies and force people to migrate to find economic safety and a better way of life. It has been that way since the first cities were formed. And almost since that time, laws have been put up to stop this immigration. Like so many things in our nation, this is a complex problem with politicians trying to implement simplistic answers and often failing to do even that.

But whatever you think of the new law, you have to admit it takes some real balls for the Suns to make this statement in defiance of their fan base. Or cajones, if you prefer. Although, shouldn’t the jerseys really read, “Los Sols?”

696 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. Jenny - May 6, 2010 at 2:53 AM

Just out of curiousity, how is this any different than when an officer asks me for my ID on the street? Last time I checked, you could be issued a ticket for not carrying valid photo ID anywhere in the USA. I’m white, and I’ve had my ID checked numerous times all across this country. Not once did I ever feel that my ‘civil rights’ were being infringed upon. They were simply doing their job. Personally I find this law pointless, since you have to be a legal citizen to have valid photo identification. Or your passport/visa will show when you are to return home.
    Get over yourselves. You’re here illegally, even though there are legal channels to utilize. So it’s time consuming. Sorry, it’s called politics, no one likes them, but that doesn’t make it ok to break the laws of the country you want to live in just because you have no patience.

2. Shane - May 6, 2010 at 2:56 AM

Hey, thanks. Like I said, I am a world away. I am also unfamiliar with the full legislation.
    I take no side in this debate as I see both sides clearly and wanted to share an outsiders point of view.
    I just thought that the real wrong doers are the employers.
    Thank you for pointing out the current legislation covers measures such as those I mentioned. my comments were intended as general and are based on what the internet news service served up as news.
    It sounds on face value that the real problem lies with the employers and in law enforcement. That is indeed a real hard one in itself to tackle.
    bear in mind though if you will, that i am an outsider reading the headlines and the material on the internet care of MSNBC. And I don’t believe everything I see or read.
    So thanks for the feed back. it gives an outsider like me more insight to the real news and views.

3. Michael - May 6, 2010 at 2:57 AM

I’m happily employed already. But, 10% of the US population is not employed and even greater amount are “under-employed”.
    One thing is for sure, those employers would be forced to pay their matching taxes when they employ legal workers, as will the employee. More than likely, the employer would also offer a better wage to make sure he can fill that job. Also, a US citizen is unlikely to be sending a large portion of the money they make out of the country. They will spend their money here, supporting households, families and businesses here in this country. Which in turn, creates more revenue for our governemnt… not for some economy or government we left behind.

4. Jenny - May 6, 2010 at 3:01 AM

She wouldn’t need to supply ‘papers’ of any kind. Just a current driver’s license should suffice. My ex husband and I got stopped at the border crossing every time we took a trip to the coast. He’s not even latino, he’s just really dark complected (Native American). He simply showed his ID and we were gone again, no harm, no foul.
    It’s sort of a pointless law in my eyes, seeing as to how every person in the US is supposed to have valid ID. Yes, there’s an ID card that looks JUST like a driver’s license, but doesn’t give you the ability to drive, for those of you that are going to respond ‘but I don’t drive’. You’re still supposed to go get an ID card. So do it. $10 and you’re set. I really don’t understand all the hoopla, I’m whiter than white-out and I’ve been asked for my ID plenty of times.

5. Jason - May 6, 2010 at 3:12 AM

Things I laugh at:
    1. People who complain about needing “immigration reform”. Mostly, this is code for “keep the spanish speakers out”. The reason that real reform hasn’t happened is because real reform doesn’t equal kicking everyone you don’t like out and it stalls the process.
    2. People who say immigrants take jobs. No. Corporations shipping jobs over seas takes your job.
    You are mentaly slow if you fall into one of the two above descriptions.

6. Anonymous - May 6, 2010 at 3:14 AM

“I’m really starting to wonder about the voting AZ demographic, first voting down MLK holiday and now this.”
    Actually this didn’t come down to a vote by the people, this was something that the government did on their own.

7. Claudia - May 6, 2010 at 3:27 AM

I am so tired of reading stupid blogs from people that are only misguided for what people tells them…read, get educated and then post…..how many americans will work cutting the law, cleaning, dishwashing, babysitting, picking fruits in the field…so if the immigrants leave…then companies will pay this jobs $15 hours … yeah right, ok if that happen how much will everything will be up in prices for the final consumer….hmmmm people people THINKKKKKKKKKKK illegal immigration is needed in every nation of the world, we live in capitalist nation….THINK THINK

8. Cres Whiteside - May 6, 2010 at 3:34 AM

My husband and a friend went to Tijuana and he is whiter than white.His last name is even Whiteside. The border patrol asked him for his ID. He didn’t have a problem with that. The illegal Mexicans went thru the rope while the Border patrol was interviewing my husband. The border patrol let the illegals went thru the rope laughing . How can the border be secured of a select few border patrols do not enforce the law. There are border patrols who get shot at and they enforce the law. As we speak , a border patrol just died . He was shot by an illegal. Go to Korea and cross their border. There were 2 U.S. tourists who wondered in the North Korea border . They were jailed for many days. Bill Clinton went and got them out. Election is coming. Get them out of of their thrown.Cres

9. Ojos - May 6, 2010 at 3:40 AM

Remember, not one job has been ‘stolen’ or ‘taken’ from an American. Every job held by an illegal was GIVEN to that person by an American employer. Point to the real issue here. It is way to easy to point to those who are seen as ‘other’ when there is fear in the air.

10. Cres - May 6, 2010 at 3:47 AM

I won’t watch the Los suns teams..
    These players are being housed in Arizona. Basketbal is their job.
    They will not kill the golden goose. If they do, their will be no more golden eggs. Too bad , it has to be this way. The suns are alienating their fans. I am a new fan . It’s easy to fix it. I can be no longer fan of theirs . I’ll support California team and Cavalier. How about that.
    Cres

11. McV - May 6, 2010 at 3:56 AM

Wow, what a lot of anger out there and a lot of misconceptions. One is that having a drivers license or other such ID proves you’re a citizen. Those are not hard to get without any such proof. I would bet that most Americans could not prove their citizenship if asked. They don’t carry their birth certificates or passports around. Many don’t even have a birth certificate at home. If the AZ police are going to be fair about this, they should ask everyone they stop for proof of citizenship and arrest every one that can’t prove it. I guarantee that law will be overturned in a heartbeat!
    Another misconception is that somehow all those unemployed (white or black) Americans are going to take the jobs that many immigrants (legal and illegal) are willing to take such as agricultural jobs and domestic help. Give me a break. For better or worse, the produce in this country wouldn’t be picked if it weren’t for immigrants. A guest worker program would be a great idea but the anti-immigrant yay-hoos are afraid of what that might lead to (more Hispanics finding a way to come here legally).

12. ed holton - May 6, 2010 at 4:36 AM

What a stupid idea! This is nothing more than commercialism at it’s best (or worst). Is the Sun’s franchise so desperate for money that they have to resort to this? How pathetic.

13. Go Suns - May 6, 2010 at 4:38 AM

Poor Suns! Exercise their constitutional right of free speech and the fair weather Phoenix fans exit. surprise, surprise. I watched you all bail in the middle of a game and boo your own team. It’s clear the Suns don’t play just for their fans or they would play like crap. They deserve better support and a better city to play in. This isn’t the first time Arizona has made headlines for rampant racism and stupidly being led on by “sheriff joe” what a crack pot. Do the rest of us a favor, get your machine guns out and let loose on each other you redneck uneducated entitled racist idiots.

14. george - May 6, 2010 at 4:41 AM

it’s sad brother, statistics and common knowledge/sense tells us about struggle amongst human beings since the beginning of time for example we as a society failed each other i.e. black on black crime is a fact, more than black on hispanic,white,yellow,green,red,purple,orange, etc… look within yourself if you don’t want to fall into the fact categories that hispanic on hispanic crime or abuse is more common than with anybody else just like black on black, white on white, chinese on chinese, etc. societies are complex, and extremely intertwined nowdays, you cannot take anything out of the “house of cards” without a reaction or effect, this is the way things have shaped up
    and horrible crimes excist in all levels illegal or legal citizens, is a fact that more so called citizens fill every jail, are they more american when they rape/cheat their own land ? just look at all the white collar crime in wall street, bunch of cons.i undertand nobody wants to get bombed by terrorists, but i dont think anybody wants to bomb a pice a desert in arizona, you are buying into a bunch of political propaganda. unfortunately we are so missgided and so uneducated by a few interests, and media.

15. South OC Ca. - May 6, 2010 at 4:42 AM

Easy there sandra s..sounds like you need an anger management class! I’m sure you’re some chubby who like’s to nibble too much on the burritto! Look, I live in california where there’s Mexicans and you know what? They’er good people. Iv’e never had any problem’s nor any of my family or friends. It must be you’re evil spirit creeping out of you again. Let me guess? You’re a christian too…

16. zephed60a - May 6, 2010 at 4:48 AM

Dude, At least learn how to spell before you spew your hatred.

17. george - May 6, 2010 at 4:52 AM

yeah, so that in arizona the KKK will rule, and in California Elen Degeneres, tinny governments, or just as well tinny countries, wellcome to the separated states of america DUMBO. israel against palestine; serves against yugos, africa-rwanda, etc… im sure you are american where you can read and learn just about anything but you choose not to. find your spiritual mantra soon.

18. Max - May 6, 2010 at 4:56 AM

I am a Mexican national who has legal residency in Phoenix, AZ. With that being said, you can start calling me racist because I support the state’s immigration Bill 1070. Am I a sell out? Am I a “coconut” (look it up to all of you that don’t know the racial lacing to that word)? My answer to both questions is an emphatic NO. In Arizona, the immigration problem is big.
    We have Mexican drug cartels gaining power over the political and law enforcement branches South of our border. In recent years, that has been added to the long existing problem of human traffiking. The state of Arizona, in an effort to curb the issue no representative at any level has had the guts to address this present situation, has just passed into law that any peace officer may lawfully stop any person who is operating a motor vehicle if the officer has reasonable suspicion to believe the person is in violation of any civil traffic law. And only at that point, if there is reasonable suspicion, by way of not showing proper U.S. issued driver’s licence or legal immigration document, the peace officer may ask for immigration status.
    People need to read the Bill and understand its legal reach. The Bill doesn’t say that any police member can “demand” citizenship papers as the writer of this article, Kurt Helin, claims. I am no lawyer vut can interpret the law better than this journalist.
    It is the work of people like Mr. Helin that creates fear and bias aprehension about important issueas like the one we are tackling right here in Arizona. I encourage any one to do their homework and find the truth of the matter.
    And just as a free Spanish lesson to Mr. Kurt Helin, if your intention to use the Spanish word “cajones” was to imply “bravery and toughness,” you should look for a better translation resource, because “cajones” means “drawers” in English and “cojones” means “testicles.” As I said before, I won’t charge you for this Spanish 101 lesson to you. Oh, I almost forgot: “the Suns” are not translated “los sols.” It should be “los soles.”
    Happy Cinco de Mayo to all! See you all in the beaches of Mexico this Summer. But be careful, Mexico is a “police” country. If you are driving intoxicated and get stopped by the “policia,” guess what? They will ask you for your papers! But hey, we in America, we are the bad guys, according to this article and many others. Wise up, people!

19. Scott - May 6, 2010 at 4:58 AM

Well, judging by the constitution, states have a right to implement laws to protect themselves and their citizens when it doesn’t oppose federal law. I don’t see anywhere in this bill where it goes against America’s policy and rule of law about illegal immigration. It does however strengthen it’s resolve to find illegal immigrants, who are CRIMINALS by the way, and hold them accountable. For the Phoenix Suns to step into the political arena and try to use their “celebrity” status to influence the rule of law is deplorable. For one, their spokesman for the team is a Canadian, although he may be politically active, he should speak up for rights that affect Canada, and leave the governing of this country to AMERICANS. People point at this law being an infringement on human rights…the Constitution protects American’s and those that we have allowed to enter our country legally. Try to go to Mexico illegally and see what happens to you. And for all these states and cities that are planning boycotts of the State of Arizona, most middle eastern countries and China do alot more atrocious things against human rights, and you still buy their oil and do business with these countries…I think it’s pretty hypocritical that you chose this political statement to make against an American State, when we are trying to bring our whole nation out of a recession. It pretty much makes me sick.

20. South OC. Ca, "JM" - May 6, 2010 at 4:59 AM

Nice one Brian,
    You live in California and are spouting off like it’s Tj here with bullets zipping by your’e head!
    I have a question for you: have you been to the museum of tolorence in LA? ask a person of Jewish decent what they think about this law….
    It’s a excuse to not only profile Mexcicans, but all others as well! It will take a different path just like 9/11 turned into an invasion of Iraq…Next sugestion is the chip insertion, and I don’t mean chocolate one’s either.(mark of the beast)

21. DE619 - May 6, 2010 at 5:00 AM

OK! Dumb ASS! Pretty much tired of your ignorance! Lets see gonna make a guess here…you were either born in 58 or you are 58…either way. Your GREAT GRAND PARENTS probably got here legally because they were here before the FENCE went up! Most of us Americans of Mexican decent that refer to ourselfs as HISPANIC (a name given to us by White Society) are so distant from what’s happening with the naturlized MEXICANS, we don’t look or realize that could be us. Well MR PROUD AMERICAN HISPANIC! How proud are you going to be when you get stopped by law enforcement and asked to produce citizenship documents…you will be just as PO’s as the rest of us.
    In case no one has noticed MEXICANS aren’t the only illegals in the US. The difference between Mexicans and all other Nationalities is that Mexico and the US were once one…(like it or not). Everyone else had to get here by BOAT! And because of that now they all think they are they’re better than us…back then they allowed immigrants to come out of the wood work, but have always made it a different issue in regards to Mexicans, the American neighbor.
    GO SUNS! OOPS! LOS SUNS!

22. yeyo - May 6, 2010 at 5:07 AM

damn right brother this was our land and immigrants didn’t kill natives for sport, wake up. any hispanic that favors more control, better be ready when they treat you like a corrupt federaly in a mexican prison. whatch-OUT !!!

23. yeyo - May 6, 2010 at 5:21 AM

Louis what the sh.. are you f…ing FRENCH, LOUIEx. i doubt it.

24. yeyo - May 6, 2010 at 5:28 AM

didnt you immigrate here from europe, and whe you got here lied to your own family about it. what are you hidding from, and go back.

25. BOYCOTT the Suns - May 6, 2010 at 5:57 AM

What is it that you moronic idiots in this country don’t get? They are here illegally. And the complete bull that they do the jobs Americans won’t is just another liberal mantra. Stop unemployment for 99 weeks and I assure you the unemployed will take the landscaping, cooking, cleaning and service jobs. The Suns players are million-dollar babies. They will NEVER be faced with any type of interaction with these illegals. They live in gated communities with bodyguards, etc. And the argument that making them citizens will increase the tax base is senseless. The yearly income these people would make, along with there countless spawn, would qualify them for countless income tax credits. They will take more out of the system than they will EVER put in.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches