Suns will wear "Los Suns" Jerseys as part of Arizona immigration bill protest

May 4, 2010, 5:18 PM EDT

This took some real cajones.

The controversial immigration bill (SB 1070) just signed into law in Arizona — which allows police making a “legal contact” to demand citizenship papers and makes it illegal not to have them on you — is popular with the majority of voters in the state. Those people are the Suns fan base, the people who fill the US Airways Center, and will again Wednesday night.

And they will see a home team wearing their “Los Suns” jerseys, part of a protest of the bill that included bold statements from several players and the team owner in opposition to it. A protest that was voted on and approved in the Suns locker room and by management will take place on Cinco do Mayo.

The politically active Steve Nash spoke out against the law, as Bright Side of the Sun reported.

“I think the law is very misguided. I think it is unfortunately to the detriment to our society and our civil liberties and I think it is very important for us to stand up for things we believe in,” Nash said of the bill. “I think the law obviously can target opportunities for racial profiling. Things we don’t want to see and don’t need to see in 2010.”

Team owner Robert Sarver added his voice, via the Arizona Republic:

“The frustration with the federal government’s failure to deal with the issue of illegal immigration resulted in passage of a flawed state law,” Sarver said in a statement released by the Suns on Tuesday morning. “However intended, the result of passing this law is that our basic principles of equal rights and protection under the law are being called into question, and Arizona’s already struggling economy will suffer even further setbacks at a time when the state can ill-afford them.”

“I looked around our plane and looked at our players and the diversity in our organization,” Sarver said. “I thought we need to go on record that we honor our diversity in our team, in the NBA and we need to show support for that. As for the political part of that, that’s my statement.”

Immigration is a complex issue, one where economic and trade policies of many nations impact local economies and force people to migrate to find economic safety and a better way of life. It has been that way since the first cities were formed. And almost since that time, laws have been put up to stop this immigration. Like so many things in our nation, this is a complex problem with politicians trying to implement simplistic answers and often failing to do even that.

But whatever you think of the new law, you have to admit it takes some real balls for the Suns to make this statement in defiance of their fan base. Or cajones, if you prefer. Although, shouldn’t the jerseys really read, “Los Sols?”

696 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. Louis58 - May 4, 2010 at 5:57 PM

The Suns just lost me as a FAN!! These Players are not True americans. To them it`s ok to come here and take Jobs,RAPE,PILIGE ,PLUNDER all that is offered to Legal Citizens, Pack the Hospitals, Drain the Coffers that were at one time here to help the Good People of Az. I agree with the Gov. in her stance against the take over by these Illegal`s becouse that GUTLESS P.O.S. of a President wont get off his high horse and do what he is supposed to do, ENFORCE BORDER SECURITY!! Oh I`m sorry, did I hurt your Liberal Feelings?? Signed: Proud American Hispanic!!

2. Kyle Johnson - May 4, 2010 at 6:01 PM

While their at it,they should go all out and let any illegal in free as long as they don’t have a green card.

3. Jon - May 4, 2010 at 6:02 PM

A hearty congratulations to the Suns organization for standing against a misguided law. I’ll still cheer for the Lakers on the court, but the Suns players and organization have earned my respect in something far more important than basketball.

4. jerry - May 4, 2010 at 6:27 PM

There is a line line between balls and stupidity and time will only tell which one this is. That being said I will not longer watch any ames of the suns. The law is reasonable response to the federal INACTION! The unfortunate part of the whole story is the totally ignorance of what the law actually does by players and at least one owner. I know it will not happen but I would like for there to be some empty seats during the game.

5. Tom Jones - May 4, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Louis58……No big loss loosing you as a fan. We don’t need fans like you in any sporting event or in America.
    Take jobs are you kiddding! Immigrants oftern take the jobs nobody else wants or is too lazy to take. It wasnt’t for those folks people like you would starve because you wouldn’t have no one to pick you food, porepare your food, and clean up after you’re done. Proud hispanic……Hmmmmmm I wonder.

6. Chris - May 4, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Louis, you seem very passionate in your response, but I doubt your feelings represent more than a fraction of the Latino community. The fact that you blamed the immigration issue on a president who has been in office for 15 months shows that your anger might be misguided. I commend Robert Sarver for showing his respect and support for the Latino community. I am going to go get a ‘Los Suns’ jersey! Go Suns!

7. Lisa - May 4, 2010 at 6:29 PM

I wasn’t a big fan of basketball before, but I’ve always cheered for the Suns becuase they were my home team. However, they are not representing the honest, tax-paying citizens of this state who supported them and the stadium they play in. BESEN MI…. LOS SUNS

8. jc - May 4, 2010 at 6:41 PM

Excellent decision by the Suns. They are clearly only making a stand against discrimination – not condoning border violence or smuggling, etc. Last I checked, our fellow American citizens are also fully capable of violence, tax evasion, drug smuggling, etc. so to look down on a small percentage of hispanics for doing so is hypocritical. I also don’t see how this law is supposed to stop people from crossing the border intending to smuggle, steal, or worse yet kill – if they are already intending to break the law when they cross, is another law going to really change their minds?? We are hurting economically so instead of deporting a potential “tax revenue”, why not work towards revamping the legalization process instead and take some pressure off of us already taxed to the max.

9. DugoutNut - May 4, 2010 at 6:44 PM

Louie,
    Um, well, ah, hmmmmm…..where do I start. How about that Bush had 8 years to do something and didn’t. Obama, has had just over one year. Your great Senator McCain used to back amnesty for those here but now that the wind has changed, well, so has he. Not a shock he was not elected, huh? Perhaps he should suspend his senatorial campaign to deal with this issue?
    This law’s intent is clear, to stop people of color. I am not going to be asked to prove my citizenship. I am Caucasian. If asked I would refuse to offer proof of citizenship. I would state my name and that’s it. Let them prove where I belong. Where are they going to ship me? Back to Russia or Germany?
    If you think it is just fine to be pulled over for driving Mexican/Hispanic/Arab/Black then you have issues with our constitution and the American way of life and you should, well, leave this country and head back to where your grandparents or great grandparents hailed from.
    As for being a “real American” screw you. A real American speaks up and out about those things he disagrees with. The loss of revenue that your state is going to suffer is the result of freedom of speech. The Suns protest/statement is to be commended. The loss of conventions, the upcoming loss of the MLB All-Star game, the loss of federal funds….are all forms of displaying displeasure with this law. Deal with it. Your money issues are going to get tighter, not better. Welcome to the new Cour De Alene, Idaho.
    You went through this with the Martin Luther King holiday. Welcome to the new Alabama. Home of racism, hatred and discrimination.
    Just wait until the first cop asks a citizen to prove his citizenship. The lawsuits are going to break the state.
    Prediction: The law is unconstitutional and will be tossed before taking effect. However that unqualified governor of yours will get some political hay and the rouge sheriff, Joe Arpaio will get some too. His day is nearly over though. The feds are hot on his ass and it won’t be long before he is charged with his own crimes.

10. Kevin - May 4, 2010 at 6:45 PM

Well I WAS looking forward to watching this game. Unfortunately the Suns misguided attempt to make a statement will force me to miss it. Shame really, politics and these issues have no business in sports, that is where we go to escapte this stuff. The same goes for these idiots in baseball who speak out in protest of a law they obviously do not understand.

11. Kyle - May 4, 2010 at 6:49 PM

Hey Tom,You might consider going back to your local community college. You no spell the English very well.

12. Kevin - May 4, 2010 at 6:51 PM

Not too bright there, ANYONE who is in this country legally is REQUIRED by federal law to carry the green card and present upon request. If you get pulled over on a traffic stop you will be required to produce your license, I don’t care who you are. If you present a valid AZ operator license that will be the end of it no matter what color your skin is.

13. Tom Jones - May 4, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Kyle…..Point taken; albeit just need to let modern technology do it’s thing, e.g. Spell checker.

14. ccgolfer - May 4, 2010 at 7:15 PM

That’s all you got Kyle????!!!! Took guts, man!! I bet Kyle and all of you who are for this bill believe in the constitution and your grand parents, great-grand parents, or whoever got here legally!!!! Do the research people. Those who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones!!! Oh and those who, now, will not watch or be fans of the Phx Suns…………who cares?!!!!

15. DEA7H13 - May 4, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Shouldn’t Chad Ochocinco’s name be ochenta y cinco? Americans don’t care if they butcher Spanish because they think they’re better.

16. Real American - May 4, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Amen brother! I’m not even from AZ.
    The cowardly people that supposedly say there against the law are really for it. They just don’t have the guts to say they are.
    Spineless pieces of sh*t!
    Hopefully the state will start to separate themselves from this garbage pile government that we are relying on too much. We need to go back to states rights and a tiny government that should be seen and not heard.

17. Real American - May 4, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Who the hell is Steve Nash anyway? He’s Canadian, not America. He has nothing to say about it.
    The cowardly people that supposedly say they’re against the law are really for it. They just don’t have the guts to say they are.
    Spineless pieces of sh*t!

18. jk - May 4, 2010 at 7:37 PM

No more suns games for me.

19. fishhook - May 4, 2010 at 7:40 PM

Oh please!!!!
    All those people saying, “I’m not a suns fan anymore and will not watch their games because of this” chill out!!!
    I am against the team going all “political” on us, but it’s still my team and while I may not support their politics, I support their basketball!!!
    Go Suns!

20. Steve - May 4, 2010 at 7:43 PM

Bush tried and was building a wall and as soon as Obama came into office he ordered it to be stopped. So Bush was doing something, something needs to be done, 1 in 7 in Arizona State prisoners are illegals. The Federal law reads similar to the Arizona and “can’t wait for it to be taken to court” and if and when it’s upheld will the complaining stop……..no. The only reason non hispanic politicans are even against this is because they want the hispanic vote…period.
    Wait until Texas signs one!!!!!

21. Chuck - May 4, 2010 at 7:44 PM

I wish these overpaid a-holes would read the law before they take a stand against it. It’s becoming painfully obvious that all these people who are “defending rights and liberties” have no clue what is actually in it.

22. djohnson - May 4, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Hey loser we had 8 years of bush and clowns not doing anything so now its the liberals fault- Get real

23. Anonymous - May 4, 2010 at 7:51 PM

Yes,I’ve got more than that. You hit the nail on the head when you used the word “LEGALLY” I don’t have a problem with anyone who lives here legally.Yes, by the way I do believe in the constitution.If you have a problem with our constituion,I would suggest you go somewhere else to live. Hey I got an idea. You could go buy a big truck and move to Mexico and help more illegals sneak over the border since you love them so much and love keeping them up.

24. Kyle - May 4, 2010 at 7:56 PM

By the way,I’m the Anonymous person who replied to your comment CC. I just wanted you to know I forgot to sign my name.

25. BrooklynBoyKP - May 4, 2010 at 8:06 PM

Not true at all, are US citizens required to carry green cards on them of course not this law is not controversial because it allows illegals to be sent back it’s because anybody who looks like they’re hispanic is liable to be pulled over and asked for proof of citizenship, you could just be walking down the street and the police can search without probable cause (unconstitutional much)
    @Chuck I don’t think you know what’s in it because it is infringing on rights and liberties.
    @Steve You probably complain about the economy, well guess what the wall was a huge waste of money and would have worsened the economy. The wall wasn’t practical and wouldn’t have been effective in containing numerous hispanics. And the comment about the politicians isn’t true, do you have to be white to be against racism.
    @RealAmerican I’m not too spineless to say I’m for the law, it’s a stupid law. Yeah and hopefully the states will separate and go back to the small government days, the articles of confederation were the best.
    Most of you don’t realize that this bill allows a grandiose number of racial sterotyping. There are millions of LEGAL hispanic immigrants who will be subjected to unfair laws. It shouldn’t be required for you to have legal documents at all times it is also an inconvenience to hispanics while whites won’t be affected at all. The police aren’t going to pull over a white person and ask for proof of citizenship. A lot of you are just plain racist so whatever. Mexicans don’t really take jobs most of the jobs they do are terrible without much pay that whites wouldn’t do.

1 2 3 28

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches