May 4, 2010, 3:20 PM EDT
NBA groupies, NBA players and their posses and Mickey Mouse — finally all in one place. Bring the entire family.
The new Amway Center in Orlando — set to open this fall — will host the NBA All-Star Game and weekend in 2012. This largely falls in line with the NBA’s effort to give teams with new buildings (and a city that can handle it) a chance at the All-Star game. It will take place Feb. 24-26, 2012, with the Magic as hosts.
Next year’s All-Star game comes to Staples Center in Los Angeles.
The All-Star Weekend is more than just the game, it’s really a convention of the NBA, the one time during the season that everyone — owners, players, media, agents — are all in one place. It is also attracts plenty of NBA fans and some less savory hangers on. It’s a weekend party and a show, with a game thrown in for good measure.
In Orlando, a lot more families are going to want to go for the weekend. Should be interesting.
- The Extra Pass: Gerald Green doesn’t regret moment of his winding journey to NBA stardom 4
- Monday NBA grades: Blake Griffin shows off his jumper (and yes, he can still dunk) 4
- Suns’ P.J. Tucker ejected after elbow thrown to Blake Griffin’s head (VIDEO) 12
- Report: Phil Jackson’s camp doesn’t believe agreement with Knicks is close 11
- PBT Extra: Can Phil Jackson help right the ship in New York? 13