May 4, 2010, 3:20 PM EDT
NBA groupies, NBA players and their posses and Mickey Mouse — finally all in one place. Bring the entire family.
The new Amway Center in Orlando — set to open this fall — will host the NBA All-Star Game and weekend in 2012. This largely falls in line with the NBA’s effort to give teams with new buildings (and a city that can handle it) a chance at the All-Star game. It will take place Feb. 24-26, 2012, with the Magic as hosts.
Next year’s All-Star game comes to Staples Center in Los Angeles.
The All-Star Weekend is more than just the game, it’s really a convention of the NBA, the one time during the season that everyone — owners, players, media, agents — are all in one place. It is also attracts plenty of NBA fans and some less savory hangers on. It’s a weekend party and a show, with a game thrown in for good measure.
In Orlando, a lot more families are going to want to go for the weekend. Should be interesting.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 40
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18