May 4, 2010, 3:20 PM EST
NBA groupies, NBA players and their posses and Mickey Mouse — finally all in one place. Bring the entire family.
The new Amway Center in Orlando — set to open this fall — will host the NBA All-Star Game and weekend in 2012. This largely falls in line with the NBA’s effort to give teams with new buildings (and a city that can handle it) a chance at the All-Star game. It will take place Feb. 24-26, 2012, with the Magic as hosts.
Next year’s All-Star game comes to Staples Center in Los Angeles.
The All-Star Weekend is more than just the game, it’s really a convention of the NBA, the one time during the season that everyone — owners, players, media, agents — are all in one place. It is also attracts plenty of NBA fans and some less savory hangers on. It’s a weekend party and a show, with a game thrown in for good measure.
In Orlando, a lot more families are going to want to go for the weekend. Should be interesting.
- After Lakers’ 48-point loss, Laker GM Kupchak, owner Buss met with coach D’Antoni 2
- Report: Knicks offer Phil Jackson a front office position 20
- Is Carmelo Anthony’s smart play to opt in and play out contract with Knicks? 16
- LeBron says he has open door policy, would certainly speak to Paul George 28
- Report: Knicks met with Phil Jackson about coaching them 42