May 4, 2010, 3:20 PM EDT
NBA groupies, NBA players and their posses and Mickey Mouse — finally all in one place. Bring the entire family.
The new Amway Center in Orlando — set to open this fall — will host the NBA All-Star Game and weekend in 2012. This largely falls in line with the NBA’s effort to give teams with new buildings (and a city that can handle it) a chance at the All-Star game. It will take place Feb. 24-26, 2012, with the Magic as hosts.
Next year’s All-Star game comes to Staples Center in Los Angeles.
The All-Star Weekend is more than just the game, it’s really a convention of the NBA, the one time during the season that everyone — owners, players, media, agents — are all in one place. It is also attracts plenty of NBA fans and some less savory hangers on. It’s a weekend party and a show, with a game thrown in for good measure.
In Orlando, a lot more families are going to want to go for the weekend. Should be interesting.
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 9
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 5
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 3
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 59
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 67
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 7
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 31