May 4, 2010, 11:30 AM EDT
Rather than just being a boost for the stretch run and the playoffs, John Salmons may be brought in to be a boost for a team for the entire next season.
Last year, he came to the Bulls near the trading deadline and helped them into the playoffs then take the Boston Celtics seven games. This year the Bulls traded him to the Bucks, who he helped take to the playoffs and push the Hawks to seven games (and if Andrew Bogut had been healthy….).
Salmons can opt out of his deal and told the Associated Press he’s probably going to test the free agent market.
Salmons has a player option for next season, or he can opt out of his contract to become a free agent. Salmons acknowledged that opting out was “a pretty good option” but wasn’t by any means ruling out a return, noting that the Bucks could contend with Bogut healthy.
“To have him back next year, who knows? We could become a real threat to teams in the East,” Salmons said. “We’ve got to see what happens.”
Salmons is wisely thinking that he doesn’t want to have to negotiate a new contract under the coming Collective Bargaining Agreement, he wants one now that will be grandfathered into that deal for a few years. Smart.
That deal may well be with the Bucks — he is a perfect fit with Brandon Jennings, giving them a good two-guard combo to balance Bogut inside. The Bucks will make an offer. But predicting now where Salmons will be playing next playoffs is a fool’s errand. Wherever he lands, however, it will be a fun first round series.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 2
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 3
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 19
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4