May 4, 2010, 10:56 AM EDT
New Orleans is leaving no stone unturned in their search for a new coach who can keep Chris Paul from bolting town in 2012.
That is job number one, don’t forget. Two seasons may seem like a long time away to worry about such things, but two more seasons like this last one will have Paul checking his options. So enter the new coach. Wins are a big part of it, but there has to be a confidence, a bond built.
To find the right man, the Hornets are looking everywhere.
Louisiana native Avery Johnson is up first today for an interview, followed by Dallas assistant Dwane Casey tomorrow, according to the Times Picayune. But that’s just the start of the list.
According to league sources, the Hornets are working on logistics to interview former NBA player Mark Jackson and former NBA coach Doug Collins, who interviewed for the Philadelphia 76ers job Saturday…The Hornets also have contacted the Utah Jazz to request permission to interview assistant Ty Corbin and the Portland Trail Blazers to interview assistant Monty Williams….
The Hornets also have asked for permission to speak to Boston Celtics assistant Tom Thibodeau, but they have not yet been granted permission by General Manager Danny Ainge.
That’s seven — that we know of. We can assume they are going to interview Bobcats coach Larry Brown because the Collective Bargaining Agreement requires he be contacted about every job opening. There are probably other coaches, both dead and alive, that will be interviewed.
Then they’ll settle on Avery.
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 15
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 44
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 53
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11