May 3, 2010, 7:14 PM EST
There it is, via JaVale’s twitter page. (Hat tip to Bullets Forever) This tattoo interests me because McGee’s value may be more nebulous than the value of any other player in the league. McGee is 7-2 with a massive wingspan. He can jump out of the gym and create highlight dunks and blocks. He shows flashes of beautiful moves around the rim. He’s surprisingly agile for his size, and can even handle the ball a little.
However, there is absolutely nothing that he can do consistently. He switches between being passive and a foul machine on defense. His shot selection is questionable at best. His touch at the rim comes and goes. At this point in his career, there’s no knowing whether he’ll put his gifts to good use, like teammate Andray Blatche did after the Jamison trade, or becoming another talented big man who never figured out how to make his game work in the NBA. After two full seasons in the league, McGee remains a mystery. Perhaps the barcode holds the answers.
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 10
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 8
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 14
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 20
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 24
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8