May 3, 2010, 4:41 PM EST
Miami has a few advantages for attracting free agents.
One is, you know, Miami. Warm weather, great food and restaurants, fantastic, um… scenery. Second is the money to spend on a top free agent, so this player can afford all that great food.
Third is Dwyane Wade, and the chance to win playing along side one of the game’s best. Of course, there’s that little matter of him leaving as a free agent. So job one: Keeping Wade and keeping Wade keeping his confidence.
To that end, Pat Riley said today that he has an extended deal to stay on his role as Heat president, and with that coach Erik Spoelstra will be back with the team. Our own Ira Winderman was at the press event and has the report.
Mostly, Riley insisted he is not going anywhere anytime soon, having recently reached an agreement with owner Micky Arison to continue in his management role.
“Micky and I have to come an agreement,” Riley said. “Continuity is important.”
Riley, however, would not rule out a return to coaching. Because, you know, he is Pat Riley and that is still one massive ego under that graying hair.
Among other things he talked about was a desire to resign Udonis Haslem, that Michael Beasley has been doing okay but that he should be doing better than just okay, and that he thinks Mario Chalmers will fit in well.
Riles was also supremely confident that Wade will return.
“Our first priority is going to be Dwyane,” Riley said.
As for rebuilding the team this offseason, Riley spoke optimistically about the Heat having cleared significant cap space
“I do believe we’ve created this launching pad,” he said. “But there’s no guarantees; there’s no assurances in this game.
“I think we’ll be able to build a very good team.”
Maybe. Maybe not. But no team will be in a better position to do so.
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 0
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 2
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 9
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 10
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 23
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)