May 3, 2010, 4:41 PM EDT
Miami has a few advantages for attracting free agents.
One is, you know, Miami. Warm weather, great food and restaurants, fantastic, um… scenery. Second is the money to spend on a top free agent, so this player can afford all that great food.
Third is Dwyane Wade, and the chance to win playing along side one of the game’s best. Of course, there’s that little matter of him leaving as a free agent. So job one: Keeping Wade and keeping Wade keeping his confidence.
To that end, Pat Riley said today that he has an extended deal to stay on his role as Heat president, and with that coach Erik Spoelstra will be back with the team. Our own Ira Winderman was at the press event and has the report.
Mostly, Riley insisted he is not going anywhere anytime soon, having recently reached an agreement with owner Micky Arison to continue in his management role.
“Micky and I have to come an agreement,” Riley said. “Continuity is important.”
Riley, however, would not rule out a return to coaching. Because, you know, he is Pat Riley and that is still one massive ego under that graying hair.
Among other things he talked about was a desire to resign Udonis Haslem, that Michael Beasley has been doing okay but that he should be doing better than just okay, and that he thinks Mario Chalmers will fit in well.
Riles was also supremely confident that Wade will return.
“Our first priority is going to be Dwyane,” Riley said.
As for rebuilding the team this offseason, Riley spoke optimistically about the Heat having cleared significant cap space
“I do believe we’ve created this launching pad,” he said. “But there’s no guarantees; there’s no assurances in this game.
“I think we’ll be able to build a very good team.”
Maybe. Maybe not. But no team will be in a better position to do so.
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 7
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 21
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 54
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 25
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 22
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 8
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 47
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65