May 3, 2010, 10:41 AM EDT
The epic battle amongst agents to sign biggest prize in this year’s NBA draft — point guard John Wall — is over.
It was won by the guy and company about to become the newest big player on the NBA scene.
Wall has signed with Dan Fegan of Blue Entertainment Sports Television (BEST), according to DraftExpress.com. In addition, BEST is working on a deal to handle at least a part of the lucrative marketing arm of Wall as well, which may include a sneaker deal.
Fegan, a Yale Law School graduate and one of the most powerful agents in the NBA, made a big splash for Jonathan Blue’s agency, which acquired his practice in 2008, with this signing.
It has been heavily rumored in recent weeks that BEST will be acquired by French sporting and publishing giant Lagardere S.A., as reported by Sports Business Journal. The sale has not yet been finalized according to sources, but is surely in the works at this point.
BEST — with its new owner on the way — is looking to come in and challenge CAA and the Wasserman Media Group as the top dogs in the NBA agent game.
On the court, Wall expected to step right in and be competing with Derrick Rose and Russell Westbrook for the “best young point guard in the Association” label. Working out Wall’s rookie deal is not going to tax Fegan — it’s all very formulaic for the first round picks. But if he lives up to his potential, his second deal will have Fegan throwing around the word “max” a lot.
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 0
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 12
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10