May 3, 2010, 10:41 AM EDT
The epic battle amongst agents to sign biggest prize in this year’s NBA draft — point guard John Wall — is over.
It was won by the guy and company about to become the newest big player on the NBA scene.
Wall has signed with Dan Fegan of Blue Entertainment Sports Television (BEST), according to DraftExpress.com. In addition, BEST is working on a deal to handle at least a part of the lucrative marketing arm of Wall as well, which may include a sneaker deal.
Fegan, a Yale Law School graduate and one of the most powerful agents in the NBA, made a big splash for Jonathan Blue’s agency, which acquired his practice in 2008, with this signing.
It has been heavily rumored in recent weeks that BEST will be acquired by French sporting and publishing giant Lagardere S.A., as reported by Sports Business Journal. The sale has not yet been finalized according to sources, but is surely in the works at this point.
BEST — with its new owner on the way — is looking to come in and challenge CAA and the Wasserman Media Group as the top dogs in the NBA agent game.
On the court, Wall expected to step right in and be competing with Derrick Rose and Russell Westbrook for the “best young point guard in the Association” label. Working out Wall’s rookie deal is not going to tax Fegan — it’s all very formulaic for the first round picks. But if he lives up to his potential, his second deal will have Fegan throwing around the word “max” a lot.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 3
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 15
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 4
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 46
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 36
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 15
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23