May 3, 2010, 10:41 AM EDT
The epic battle amongst agents to sign biggest prize in this year’s NBA draft — point guard John Wall — is over.
It was won by the guy and company about to become the newest big player on the NBA scene.
Wall has signed with Dan Fegan of Blue Entertainment Sports Television (BEST), according to DraftExpress.com. In addition, BEST is working on a deal to handle at least a part of the lucrative marketing arm of Wall as well, which may include a sneaker deal.
Fegan, a Yale Law School graduate and one of the most powerful agents in the NBA, made a big splash for Jonathan Blue’s agency, which acquired his practice in 2008, with this signing.
It has been heavily rumored in recent weeks that BEST will be acquired by French sporting and publishing giant Lagardere S.A., as reported by Sports Business Journal. The sale has not yet been finalized according to sources, but is surely in the works at this point.
BEST — with its new owner on the way — is looking to come in and challenge CAA and the Wasserman Media Group as the top dogs in the NBA agent game.
On the court, Wall expected to step right in and be competing with Derrick Rose and Russell Westbrook for the “best young point guard in the Association” label. Working out Wall’s rookie deal is not going to tax Fegan — it’s all very formulaic for the first round picks. But if he lives up to his potential, his second deal will have Fegan throwing around the word “max” a lot.
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 5
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 12
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 14
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 18