May 2, 2010, 11:44 PM EDT
For several years Tom Thibodeau has been riding the coaching carousel, interviewing for head jobs. He’s been on it so long that the unicorn has his vomit stained on it and he’s permanently lost his sense of balance.
But finally, mercifully, his merry-go-round may be coming to an end. The Boston Herald is reporting that Thibodeau is in the interview circuit for the Sixers, Hornets, and Clippers head coaching positions.
Thibodeau, widely considered the reason for the Celtics’ all-world defense over the past four seasons, has also been apart of defensive stalwarts in Houston and New York.
I’ve long since joked that Thibodeau either has some sort of nervous condition which results in a Michael-Scott-like interviewing personality or has a skeleton in his closet in the shape of someone David Stern dearly loved, because he’s been interviewed so often and never gotten a position. He interviewed with the Sixers last year before they went with Eddie Jordan (whoops) and the Kings before they went with Reggie Theus. Thibodeau by all accounts is well liked, and clearly has the intention of being a head coach.
Perhaps it’s simply a lack of experience or a concern over his offensive and development prowess that has kept Thibodeau in the assistant slot. But given the old adage that defense wins championships, you have to figure Thibodeau will get a gig sooner rather than later.
Where that leaves the Celtics remains to be seen.
- Report: Bobcats changing name back to Hornets 5
- Dwyane Wade grants wish, shows up at girl’s senior prom 5
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson 33
- Report: Vinny Del Negro to meet with Clippers’ owner Donald Sterling this weekend 3
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose 33
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay