May 2, 2010, 11:44 PM EDT
For several years Tom Thibodeau has been riding the coaching carousel, interviewing for head jobs. He’s been on it so long that the unicorn has his vomit stained on it and he’s permanently lost his sense of balance.
But finally, mercifully, his merry-go-round may be coming to an end. The Boston Herald is reporting that Thibodeau is in the interview circuit for the Sixers, Hornets, and Clippers head coaching positions.
Thibodeau, widely considered the reason for the Celtics’ all-world defense over the past four seasons, has also been apart of defensive stalwarts in Houston and New York.
I’ve long since joked that Thibodeau either has some sort of nervous condition which results in a Michael-Scott-like interviewing personality or has a skeleton in his closet in the shape of someone David Stern dearly loved, because he’s been interviewed so often and never gotten a position. He interviewed with the Sixers last year before they went with Eddie Jordan (whoops) and the Kings before they went with Reggie Theus. Thibodeau by all accounts is well liked, and clearly has the intention of being a head coach.
Perhaps it’s simply a lack of experience or a concern over his offensive and development prowess that has kept Thibodeau in the assistant slot. But given the old adage that defense wins championships, you have to figure Thibodeau will get a gig sooner rather than later.
Where that leaves the Celtics remains to be seen.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 5
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43