May 2, 2010, 2:53 PM EDT
Andrew Bynum is going to give it a shot in game one, and Phil Jackson is going to start him, he said in his pregame press conference.
“Andrew is prepared to play…” Jackson said. “If he’s limited in what he can do. His ability to run, pull out, if it’s something that’s going to hamper him we’ll have to measure that.”
Meaning, he’s going to go and will play unless he sucks. And Jackson will try to limit his minutes, if at all possible.
Jerry Sloan said that Deron Williams will start and is fine. And he said it in Sloan’s classic old-school way:
“If he can pull on the jersey he is 100 percent.”
Some other pregame notes here from the bowels of Staples Center.
Phil Jackson is concerned that without a dominant scorer to cover, Ron Artest’s mind will wander to… well, wherever it is that Ron Ron’s mind goes. Not sure it’s a place I want to visit. But because Pau Gasol gives Carlos Boozer trouble, Artest will start the game on CJ Miles and may get some Wes Mathews time. Also, look for Jackson to match Artest up on Millsap.
Sloan said the key for his team is shot selection. He said that the Laker length provides problems and the Jazz have responded with bad shots, which fuels the Lakers in transition. He wants the team to focus on getting good shots.
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 2
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 5
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 2
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 14
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 7
- Mike Krzyzewski would trade Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love with “not one second of hesitancy” 68
- Mario Chalmers: “I never thought anybody would want to leave Miami for Cleveland” 65
- Las Vegas Summer League review: How did Andrew Wiggins, other lottery picks fare? 14