May 1, 2010, 8:32 PM EDT
For all the improvements the Cavs were supposed to have made, in Game 1, the Celtics looked like they had all the answers.
The Celtics lead 54-43 at the half, Rajon Rondo has 19 points and 8 assists, LeBron James looks hurt and the Cavs look lost.
The Cavs worked to get inside position on offense from the get go, but everything would rim out. Shaquille O’Neal wound up in foul trouble, while getting shoved to the middle of the paint by Kendrick Perkins who is proving there is literally no big man he cannot defend one-on-one. James took only two jumpshots in the first half, and while he was able to create off the dribble, get to the rim, and collect free throws, he looks tentative and limited by the strained and bruised elbow.
Antawn Jamison is doing a good job conceptually on Kevin Garnett, maintaining position and getting a hand-up, but Garnett’s simply using his height advantage and getting the buckets to fall. The lone bright spots for the Cavs have been Delonte West and J.J. Hickson, not exactly who you want the game to rest on. Hickson provided a significant boost on offense, but also gave up multiple possessions on defense due to blown assignments.
But Rondo has been the difference maker. Right now, Rajon Rondo is the best player in this series with LeBron injured. If the Cavs can’t buckle down with their help defense and convert inside, the Cavs could be looking at a very familiar situation of being down 0-1 despite homecourt advantage.
And one final note. If you’re looking to locate a pin, feel free to head down to the Q. Because you can hear one drop as the arena is dead silence. Stark contrast to the other crowds we’ve seen in the playoffs.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 2
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48