Mark Cuban: "I'm not so proud of the NBA."

Apr 30, 2010, 8:55 AM EST

Memo to Dwight Howard, Stan Van Gundy, Phil Jackson, Matt Barnes, Rasheed Wallace and anyone else trying not to get fined while criticizing the referees:

Follow Mark Cuban’s lead. The Dallas Mavericks owner went with the use of code words rather than just come out and say the officiating sucked. Here, from the ESPNDallas:

“I’m proud of our guys, the way they kept on fighting back. I’m not so proud of the NBA. I’m not proud of my inability over the last 10 years to have the impact like I want to have, so I kind of feel like I owe fans an apology,” Cuban told ESPNDallas.com. “But, that’s just the way this business goes. But, congratulations to the Spurs.”

Just a note of clarification, a personal little pet peeve of mine in that quote, the line “Cuban told ESPN Dallas”: Cuban did not tell that to ESPNDallas, he told it to every member of the media there in a big media scrum in the hallway. There were 20 or so media members there. It was broadcast on NBATV. The hot thing in journalism now is to take comments made to every available member of the media and say “as told to ProBasketballTalk” or whatever, but it’s misleading. It tries to sound exclusive when it’s not. Okay, stepping down off the soapbox now.

Cuban was smart, you just need to be able to read through the lines to get his meaning. He also refused to elaborate on his comments, not that he needed to. He was pissed about the officiating, but he has tried to work on that on a macro level. He has tried to change the way the officials are instructed, trained, monitored and assigned. So he put the blame on the big picture, not the night’s referees, and avoids a fine that way. While still saying the same thing.

Problem is, the referees were not the reason the Mavericks were down 22 in the first half. And that is why they lost the game, not the referees.

1. dfhshsrhsrer - Apr 30, 2010 at 9:47 AM

Dear customers, thank you for your support of our company.
    Here, there’s good news to tell you: The company recently
    launched a number of new fashion items! ! Fashionable
    and welcome everyone to come buy. If necessary, please
    input:
    Tshirts (Polo ,ed hardy,lacoste) $16
    New era cap $15
    Air jordan(1-24)shoes $33
    Handbags(Coach,ed hardy,lv,d&g) $35
    Jean(True Religion,ed hardy,coogi) $30
    Sunglasses(Oakey,coach,gucci,Armaini)$16
    Bikini (Ed hardy,polo) $25

2. spursfan21 - Apr 30, 2010 at 9:54 AM

The article never says “told ESPNDallas” – unless it did at one point.
    “I’m proud of our guys, the way they kept on fighting back. I’m not so proud of the NBA. I’m not proud of my inability over the last 10 years to have the impact like I want to have, so I kind of feel like I owe fans an apology,” Cuban said. “But, that’s just the way this business goes. But congratulations to the Spurs.”

3. billy bob - Apr 30, 2010 at 10:08 AM

“Here, from the ESPNDallas:”
    dood – I may be missing something, but you’re the one who wrote the above, correct?

4. Ted - Apr 30, 2010 at 10:30 AM

No one cares about your journalistic pet peeves.

5. sexy rexy - Apr 30, 2010 at 10:31 AM

someone tell this guy to shut up

6. daveg - Apr 30, 2010 at 10:31 AM

He’s right refs screwed Dallas and i’m not even a fan of either team. This is one of the reasons why the NBA blows

7. stopjocknmyswag - Apr 30, 2010 at 11:06 AM

If you don’t like the writer, why read his work?

8. Dalton - Apr 30, 2010 at 11:10 AM

Boo freakin hoo!!! Cuban’s whining and complaining is getting old. The refs didn’t screw his team over, they screwed themselves. The Mavs are softer than silicone and have never gotten over the choke job they committed in the 2006 NBA finals. Th fact that Dirk had 4 fouls in the first half and didn’t pick up another one until the end of the game is proof that the refs were swallowing their whistles for him

9. tysont - Apr 30, 2010 at 11:13 AM

Personally, I don’t mind the officiating in the playoffs as much. Ohh, did I mention I’m a Laker fan…That said, the officiating is terrible and definitely supports one team over another. Not naming names….

10. peterp - Apr 30, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Mark Cuban sucks. That’s all I wanted to say.

11. celticsfan - Apr 30, 2010 at 11:37 AM

The NBA officiating is not consistent night to night…is also seems biased towards the Lakers and the Spurs!

12. David Evans - Apr 30, 2010 at 11:37 AM

Mark,
    Please hire Jeff Vangundy……………Our other coach needs to go!!!

13. Omnius - Apr 30, 2010 at 11:37 AM

Cuban is just whining because he wasted a lot of money trying to buy a championship and his worthless overpaid team wimped out in the first round. Man up Crybaby Cuban, you hired a bunch of losers. So much for the team meant to challenge the Lakers. Go Lakers, end the Blunder’s season tonight!

14. 1310 - Apr 30, 2010 at 11:39 AM

do officials know what offensive interference is?

15. apena29 - Apr 30, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Honestly i think we can all say that officiating can suck sometimes but its also the players that make a game now a days with all the flopping back and fourth. I mean come on. Its not like it use to be where you actually play your ass off and see who the better team is. Its more of favs and whos playing who and where they are playing at. I think its a joke. Its BS cause the players can most likely agree with that to.

16. celticsfan - Apr 30, 2010 at 11:44 AM

The NBA officiating is definitely biased towards the Spurs and the Lakers!

17. chulo2150 - Apr 30, 2010 at 11:45 AM

The problem is the Dallas Mavericks don’t know how to defend. Nowitzki if an offensive stud but that is it. Also i don’t know if you ever noticed but nobody falls to the floor after shooting a 17ft jumper more than dirk. In the end the Spurs showed up and the Mavs didn’t. They can blame the refs all they want but it is not the actual reason they lost. GO SPURS GO!!!

18. dmnev - Apr 30, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Nobody I know much cares about crybaby Mark Cuban and his slanted view of the referees or the NBA.

19. pillophyte - Apr 30, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Anyone who actually watched that game would know that Mark Cuban is FOS. Dirk was “lucky” not to be called for two flagrant fouls. It all evens out anyway, so why keep complaining?

20. ED - Apr 30, 2010 at 11:58 AM

You want to see protection wait to you see James with the so-called bad arm get call if you look at that arm!
    He needs protection like a whole in the head however he will go to the line 15-20 times.

21. rofl - Apr 30, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Kurt generally has no idea what he is talking about. He is especially inept at the Western Conference. Anyone who reads PBT knows Kurt Helin is a twit, with little or no knowledge of any teams in the Western Conference. I just wonder when someone, somewhere will finally end his morass and send him to slober all over LeBron, like everyone else.

22. Happster - Apr 30, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Why do they even give this idiot a voice in the media? He may be wealthy and intelligent in some areas, but he’s a social dolt.

23. phantom - Apr 30, 2010 at 12:04 PM

He has a point though.

24. jamsey - Apr 30, 2010 at 12:06 PM

I am a Mavs fan and they lost becasue they are soft and Carlisle is not a playoff coach. The refs didn’t lose the game for the Mavs.

25. Dennis S - Apr 30, 2010 at 12:08 PM

The Mavs are not going anywhere until Cuban gives up control of the team.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches