Apr 30, 2010, 1:11 PM EDT
Two years ago, on their way to the NBA championship, the Celtics and Cavaliers had a fantastic, epic clash in the second round. Seven big games, where at times it looked like LeBron James was going to almost single-handedly knock Boston out of the playoffs. Coming out of that, the Celtics were sharper than they had been, and they got their banner.
LeBron has got a better supporting cast than Dwyane Wade has, but the biggest difference why Cleveland is better is because LeBron is better, in my opinion. LeBron is a better player today than he was two years ago, significantly in my opinion. I mean with his outside shooting. His shooting is so much better. That is the only reason that we beat them two years ago is that LeBron didn’t have great shooting games.”
In the same way that you could make a good case that Kevin Durant was the most improved player in the NBA this season, LeBron has made leaps like that as well. We just tend to overlook it because his game was already spectacular.
As Wade was, LeBron is the single biggest problem the Celtics face starting tomorrow. The difference is that LeBron has guys who can take advantage of the double teams. Guys who can make Boston pay for their coverage choices. Wade had Beasley.
This is going to be very different than two years ago.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 33
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 69
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 3
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31