Apr 30, 2010, 7:36 PM EDT
Our own Ira Winderman has suggested that the Miami Heat would be best off dumping Michael Beasley for cap space, and if they can get a rack of shootaround basketballs out of it, that was gravy.
He’s not alone in South Beach — people are basically done with Beasley. (Well, not Heat coach Erik Spoelstra.) Get rid of him and they can bring in a lot more talent this summer. But who would be interested in taking him without sending players back.
Hello Wizards. That’s what Washington Post writer Michael Lee suggests.
Beasley has been the subject of trade rumors recently, with the Heat in financial position to pair Wade with at least one maximum-salaried free agent in a star-studded class that likely will include LeBron James, Amare Stoudemire, Chris Bosh and Joe Johnson.
The Heat could potentially free up enough cap space to add another marquee talent if it can find a taker for Beasley’s $4.96 million salary…. The Wizards could have more than $21 million in cap space this summer, and while there are varying opinions about Beasley in the front office, some would be open to bringing him to his hometown team, according to a league source.
The question with Beasley is simple: Do you think he’ll get it? The guy has the skills you expect of the number two overall pick. But he mentally is often not in the game, the there are questions about his desire and work ethic. If he comes with focus, the trade is a steal. If not… well, you don’t have to have him for very long.
It may not be the Wizards that take a run at him, but somebody will.
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 1
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 16
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 41
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 85
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 56
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59