Apr 29, 2010, 4:51 PM EDT
We’ve known this since Tom Ziller broke the story Monday. Well, we’ve really known since February. But now it is official:
Sacramento’s Tyreke Evans is your rookie of the year. Evans received 67 first-place votes from the writers and media who cast these votes. Golden State’s Stephen Curry finished second and Milwaukee’s Brandon Jennings finished third — but we’d bet Jennings would take the third place finish to be the only one of the three still playing at this point in the season.
The only big anomaly was some fool voted for Darren Collison for rookie of the year. Love what Collison did with Chris Paul out, but no way he was better than any of the other three over the course of the season.
Evans is already one of the best attacking guards in the league –he led the NBA in shots per game at the rim averaging 8.4 per contest. He averaged 20 points, 5 rebounds and 5 assists per game. He was the most consistent of the top rookies.
But we can now say, who said this was going to be a weak rookie class again? Wait until Blake Griffin is back and adds to it.
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 1
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 21
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 5
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 18