Apr 29, 2010, 4:51 PM EST
We’ve known this since Tom Ziller broke the story Monday. Well, we’ve really known since February. But now it is official:
Sacramento’s Tyreke Evans is your rookie of the year. Evans received 67 first-place votes from the writers and media who cast these votes. Golden State’s Stephen Curry finished second and Milwaukee’s Brandon Jennings finished third — but we’d bet Jennings would take the third place finish to be the only one of the three still playing at this point in the season.
The only big anomaly was some fool voted for Darren Collison for rookie of the year. Love what Collison did with Chris Paul out, but no way he was better than any of the other three over the course of the season.
Evans is already one of the best attacking guards in the league –he led the NBA in shots per game at the rim averaging 8.4 per contest. He averaged 20 points, 5 rebounds and 5 assists per game. He was the most consistent of the top rookies.
But we can now say, who said this was going to be a weak rookie class again? Wait until Blake Griffin is back and adds to it.
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 44
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 3
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11
- Kobe Bryant says he took large enough discount for Lakers to contend 55
- Report: Jeff Taylor won’t appeal 24-game suspension 2
- Timberwolves’ Kevin Martin out indefinitely after scoring 31 points with fractured wrist 8