Apr 29, 2010, 4:51 PM EDT
We’ve known this since Tom Ziller broke the story Monday. Well, we’ve really known since February. But now it is official:
Sacramento’s Tyreke Evans is your rookie of the year. Evans received 67 first-place votes from the writers and media who cast these votes. Golden State’s Stephen Curry finished second and Milwaukee’s Brandon Jennings finished third — but we’d bet Jennings would take the third place finish to be the only one of the three still playing at this point in the season.
The only big anomaly was some fool voted for Darren Collison for rookie of the year. Love what Collison did with Chris Paul out, but no way he was better than any of the other three over the course of the season.
Evans is already one of the best attacking guards in the league –he led the NBA in shots per game at the rim averaging 8.4 per contest. He averaged 20 points, 5 rebounds and 5 assists per game. He was the most consistent of the top rookies.
But we can now say, who said this was going to be a weak rookie class again? Wait until Blake Griffin is back and adds to it.
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 8
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 43
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 55
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 86
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 20
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 17
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13