Apr 29, 2010, 4:51 PM EDT
We’ve known this since Tom Ziller broke the story Monday. Well, we’ve really known since February. But now it is official:
Sacramento’s Tyreke Evans is your rookie of the year. Evans received 67 first-place votes from the writers and media who cast these votes. Golden State’s Stephen Curry finished second and Milwaukee’s Brandon Jennings finished third — but we’d bet Jennings would take the third place finish to be the only one of the three still playing at this point in the season.
The only big anomaly was some fool voted for Darren Collison for rookie of the year. Love what Collison did with Chris Paul out, but no way he was better than any of the other three over the course of the season.
Evans is already one of the best attacking guards in the league –he led the NBA in shots per game at the rim averaging 8.4 per contest. He averaged 20 points, 5 rebounds and 5 assists per game. He was the most consistent of the top rookies.
But we can now say, who said this was going to be a weak rookie class again? Wait until Blake Griffin is back and adds to it.
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 12
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 20
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14