Apr 29, 2010, 10:31 AM EDT
Dwight Howard lost his head in the Charlotte series.
Sure, there were some borderline calls that went against him, but he didn’t deal with it well. He kept picking up silly fouls, not just accepting some of the banging but retaliating. Then he sat. Then his teammates nicknamed him Foul on You. Watch the video and see for yourself.
Didn’t impact the Magic against the Bobcats — they still swept the series — but bigger tests await. Stand Van Gundy gets it and told the Orlando Sentinel it was time for another talk.
Van Gundy… said he will again meet with Howard, likely today, to talk to him about staying out of foul trouble. “We’ll talk about it,” Van Gundy said. “You got to take some responsibility for things you can control. … Dwight’s frustration level went through the roof.”
Superman needs to sit down with the other Superman and talk about this — Shaquille O’Neal has been there. It takes some maturity as a strong, physical player to accept the cheap shots and not retaliate, to see calls that would be made on others ignored on you because your strong enough to power through them, to have other people flop and get calls. But Howard let it get into his head.
Next round — likely against the Bucks but even against the Hawks — Howard will be in the same boat. He will be the biggest, strongest guy out there. He has to be the mentally biggest, strongest as well for the Magic to get back to the Finals.
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 9
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 69
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 71
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 8
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30