Apr 29, 2010, 10:31 AM EST
Dwight Howard lost his head in the Charlotte series.
Sure, there were some borderline calls that went against him, but he didn’t deal with it well. He kept picking up silly fouls, not just accepting some of the banging but retaliating. Then he sat. Then his teammates nicknamed him Foul on You. Watch the video and see for yourself.
Didn’t impact the Magic against the Bobcats — they still swept the series — but bigger tests await. Stand Van Gundy gets it and told the Orlando Sentinel it was time for another talk.
Van Gundy… said he will again meet with Howard, likely today, to talk to him about staying out of foul trouble. “We’ll talk about it,” Van Gundy said. “You got to take some responsibility for things you can control. … Dwight’s frustration level went through the roof.”
Superman needs to sit down with the other Superman and talk about this — Shaquille O’Neal has been there. It takes some maturity as a strong, physical player to accept the cheap shots and not retaliate, to see calls that would be made on others ignored on you because your strong enough to power through them, to have other people flop and get calls. But Howard let it get into his head.
Next round — likely against the Bucks but even against the Hawks — Howard will be in the same boat. He will be the biggest, strongest guy out there. He has to be the mentally biggest, strongest as well for the Magic to get back to the Finals.
- O.J. Mayo suspended one game for punching Pelicans’ Greg Stiemsma in the throat (VIDEO) 0
- Pacers players hold locker room meeting after getting crushed by Rockets 17
- PBT Podcast: Talking Showtime Lakers with author Jeff Pearlman 6
- After Lakers’ 48-point loss, Laker GM Kupchak, owner Buss met with coach D’Antoni 31
- Report: Knicks offer Phil Jackson a front office position 31