Apr 29, 2010, 8:52 AM EDT
Former NBA coach and current TNT broadcaster Doug Collins has gotten the first call about becoming head coach of the Philadelphia 76ers.
That’s according to the Philadelphia Inquirer, who said nobody else has yet been contacted by team president and general manager Ed Stefanski. However, you can bet that Collins will not be the only name to get called.
Collins coached eight NBA seasons. Most famously, he was Michael Jordan’s coach in Chicago, right up until he was replaced by some guy named Phil Jackson. Collins also had a 54-win season in Detroit and coached in Washington for two years.
The only way more rumors could have swirled around this job search is if Lindsey Lohan were a candidate.
Larry Brown’s name keeps coming up, both as coach and as team president replacing Stefanski. It’s just part of the fun of this search — Stefanski may not be long for his job, but he’s being allowed to conduct the search. So that if he is replaced the new GM can have to live with Stefanski’s decision. Brilliant.
Other names that come up include Dallas assistant Dwane Casey, (who was interviewed twice and came in second to the hiring of Eddie Jordan by Stefanski last year), Avery Johnson and Jeff Van Gundy.
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 0
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 20
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 17
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead