Apr 28, 2010, 12:47 PM EST
Vinny Del Negro’s Bulls put up a fight. They did not back down from the mighty Cavaliers. LeBron James talked about their energy, and said the Bulls were well coached. Sure, the Bulls only won one game, but they were completely overmatched. All you can ask in that situation is to see some fight, and we all saw that.
Like that’s saving Vinny Del Negro’s job. If John Paxson wants him gone, he’s gone. And as they almost came to blows, my guess is he wants him gone. Del Negro had a roster designed to create cap space yet dared try to win with it. He tried to push his players. Bastard. Good luck finding anyone close to the situation that thinks Del Negro has a chance of saving his job.
But ESPNChicago says the Bulls management wants to sit on that decision for a few days. Why? So they want to pretend like they are thinking about it. That seems the only logical reason.
The Chicago Bulls will not make an announcement on the fate of head coach Vinny Del Negro at least until the weekend, general manager Gar Forman said following the Bulls’ first-round series-ending loss to the Cleveland Cavaliers on Tuesday night.
The team will have player exit meetings Wednesday and organizational meetings for the next couple of days. No decision will be made until those meetings are concluded and Bulls chairman Jerry Reinsdorf returns from out of town this weekend, Forman said.
If it matters, the franchise cornerstone Derrick Rose wants him to stay, saying at one point his firing would be “devastating.”
“That’s a guy, when we both came in, he let me have my freedom,” said Rose, who like Del Negro, just completed his second season with the Bulls. “He still coached me. He let me make my mistakes. We watched film together every day. He taught me a lot of offense and defense, what I’m supposed to do. But the decision is not up to me. It’s up to the front office, so I’m just going to let them deal with that.”
Frankly, it doesn’t matter. Right now, it looks like Bulls management is just trying to save some face.
- Arena evacuated after apparent fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City canceled 5
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 8
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 5
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 24
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 26
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)