Apr 28, 2010, 11:09 AM EDT
Kobe Bryant. Love him or hate him, you buy his gear. Admit it.
The Lakers sudden defensive stopper topped the sales chart at NBA.com and the NBA Store in Manhattan for the second straight year, according to a league announcement Wednesday. LeBron James was second, because really the NBA is all about LeBron and Kobe right now. Not that David Stern is rooting for that Finals matchup. Don’t think that for a second. And don’t look to the referees to help make that happen.
Signs that the Celtics fan base is still rabid — Kevin Garnett climbed up to third in the league in sales. He sold more stuff this year, based on his stellar play? Bigger shock — Nate Robinson’s Boston Celtics jersey was 11th most popular. Robinson did lead the “most regretted purchase” category (if they tracked such things).
After KG, the top 10 rounds out with Derrick Rose at four, then Dwight Howard, Dwyane Wade, Chris Paul, Paul Pierce (thanks again Celtics fans), Kevin Durant and Carmelo Anthony.
The Lakers sold more team gear than anyone else, with the Celtics second and Cavaliers third. That is as expected.
Unexpected — and a possible sign about the economy turning around, if you are into such things — both the NBA store in NYC and online saw 20 percent jumps in sales over last year, to record high numbers. You apparently have some disposable income again.
Why you’re spending it on a Nate Robinson jersey though is unexplainable.
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 31
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 14
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 27
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 14
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 15
- Report: Cavaliers trying to trade for Nuggets’ Timofey Mozgov 23
- Cavaliers, with LeBron James and Kevin Love, favored by oddsmakers to win 2015 NBA title 29
- Scout says Carmelo Anthony can be good triangle fit — if he moves the ball 20