Apr 28, 2010, 11:09 AM EST
Kobe Bryant. Love him or hate him, you buy his gear. Admit it.
The Lakers sudden defensive stopper topped the sales chart at NBA.com and the NBA Store in Manhattan for the second straight year, according to a league announcement Wednesday. LeBron James was second, because really the NBA is all about LeBron and Kobe right now. Not that David Stern is rooting for that Finals matchup. Don’t think that for a second. And don’t look to the referees to help make that happen.
Signs that the Celtics fan base is still rabid — Kevin Garnett climbed up to third in the league in sales. He sold more stuff this year, based on his stellar play? Bigger shock — Nate Robinson’s Boston Celtics jersey was 11th most popular. Robinson did lead the “most regretted purchase” category (if they tracked such things).
After KG, the top 10 rounds out with Derrick Rose at four, then Dwight Howard, Dwyane Wade, Chris Paul, Paul Pierce (thanks again Celtics fans), Kevin Durant and Carmelo Anthony.
The Lakers sold more team gear than anyone else, with the Celtics second and Cavaliers third. That is as expected.
Unexpected — and a possible sign about the economy turning around, if you are into such things — both the NBA store in NYC and online saw 20 percent jumps in sales over last year, to record high numbers. You apparently have some disposable income again.
Why you’re spending it on a Nate Robinson jersey though is unexplainable.
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 0
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 6
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 23
- ‘Melo says Knicks players “worried” Woodson could lose job if losing continues 12
- The Extra Pass: Chemistry clicking in Denver as Nuggets beat Nets to win seventh straight, and Tuesday’s recaps 2
- Kobe Bryant takes to Twitter to defend his contract extension (100)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (53)
- John Wall: ‘I’m the best point guard in the league’ (45)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (39)