Apr 28, 2010, 11:09 AM EDT
Kobe Bryant. Love him or hate him, you buy his gear. Admit it.
The Lakers sudden defensive stopper topped the sales chart at NBA.com and the NBA Store in Manhattan for the second straight year, according to a league announcement Wednesday. LeBron James was second, because really the NBA is all about LeBron and Kobe right now. Not that David Stern is rooting for that Finals matchup. Don’t think that for a second. And don’t look to the referees to help make that happen.
Signs that the Celtics fan base is still rabid — Kevin Garnett climbed up to third in the league in sales. He sold more stuff this year, based on his stellar play? Bigger shock — Nate Robinson’s Boston Celtics jersey was 11th most popular. Robinson did lead the “most regretted purchase” category (if they tracked such things).
After KG, the top 10 rounds out with Derrick Rose at four, then Dwight Howard, Dwyane Wade, Chris Paul, Paul Pierce (thanks again Celtics fans), Kevin Durant and Carmelo Anthony.
The Lakers sold more team gear than anyone else, with the Celtics second and Cavaliers third. That is as expected.
Unexpected — and a possible sign about the economy turning around, if you are into such things — both the NBA store in NYC and online saw 20 percent jumps in sales over last year, to record high numbers. You apparently have some disposable income again.
Why you’re spending it on a Nate Robinson jersey though is unexplainable.
- Thursday night NBA Winners/Losers: The injury gods show Thunder no mercy 0
- No Durant, Westbrook goes down, Thunder still make it interesting but fall to Clippers 0
- Thunder’s Russell Westbrook fractures hand, out indefinitely 3
- LeBron struggles in Cleveland debut as Knicks stun Cavaliers 30
- LeBron, Cavaliers introduced on opening night in Cleveland (VIDEO) 4
- Dominant Pau Gasol shows he may be a perfect fit for Bulls 19
- Old tweets: Kevin Durant uses gay slurs (including at Russell Westbrook), Damian Lillard rips LeBron James 28
- Wednesday night’s NBA winners, losers: Chris Bosh wants you to know he is a No. 1 option 24